RV50 admin not accessible via different vlan

Hi, I have the RV50 updated to ALEOS 4.9.3, build 002. It is used for testing SMS messaging.

But ever since we put it in a different VLAN than the computers accessing it, it doesn’t respond (Admin screen)

Lets say this device is in 192.168.12.30/24 and we are trying to access it’s IP from 10.20.30.5/24, which goes via a router. The router is forwarding the http request, but the RV50 can’t route back because the RV50 admin screen has no place to detail a “default gateway” (our router… not the RV50). So it thinks 10.20.30.5/24 is external and sends the response out cellular network.

Is there any way to let the RV50 know that another VLAN/subnet exists and what the default gateway is to reach it?

Thanks in advance. As I can’t tell by the manual what option to use.

The reason the RV50 doesn’t respond to your 10.20.30.0/24 network is because it has no path to that network in its internal route table. By the very nature of the device as a “cellular” router, it will send all traffic it doesn’t know a path to out the cellular interface, as you have seen.

I have not personally needed to do this, but you should look at the LAN tab, Host Port Routing option. It appears you can add static routes to 2 other subnets out the LAN (ethernet) port.

Thank you @pek for your suggestion. Yes, I agree on no internal route table being the cause.

It seems I have to turn on “Proxy ARP (Primary Gateway)” in order for those settings to take. And since this Raven is not the primary gateway, this would cause disaster on that VLAN, answering ARPs meant to be answered by the actual primary gateway router of our network.

I also tried defining VLANS from this RV50, but still can’t access from those VLANs.

Maybe they just don’t support customization of static routing tables?

If you have another router behind the RV50, perhaps you just need to put the RV50 into IP Passthrough mode and let your other router make all the routing decisions.

Thank you for trying @pek, but that’s unfortunately not a solution either.

This device is only used for testing it’s cellular connection’s SMS and voice capabilities. And a firewall to protect against WAN to LAN traffic. All other ALEOS router features are unnecessary. It’s just a device on the network, nothing more. Bummer it can’t just have an option to list a default gateway for the subnet it is in… like 98% of Ethernet enabled devices in the world… even cheap home routers.

Hello,
Did you find a solution to this? I’m setting it up in the exact same way.

I want the RV50 to only be a device on the network for SMS purposes, not a router as such.

Cheers

Hi @peter,
You can refer to the document for setting SMS on RV50. SMS feature is described under SMS overview section. I am attaching the RV50 software guide on the topic due to the source Sierra page in maintenance. Please download them, delete .z then unzip them. Sorry for the inconvenience.
41113547_ALEOS 4.13.0 Software Configuration User Guide for AirLink RV50_r1.zip.001.z (4 MB) 41113547_ALEOS 4.13.0 Software Configuration User Guide for AirLink RV50_r1.zip.002.z (4 MB) 41113547_ALEOS 4.13.0 Software Configuration User Guide for AirLink RV50_r1.zip.003.z (4 MB) 41113547_ALEOS 4.13.0 Software Configuration User Guide for AirLink RV50_r1.zip.004.z (4 MB) 41113547_ALEOS 4.13.0 Software Configuration User Guide for AirLink RV50_r1.zip.005.z (2.7 MB)
Please share if you have any concerns/problem while setting the feature
Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for the information. I’m not after information on setting up the SMS service but whether or not the device can have a default gateway or default up route configured, like the original poster talked about.

Hi @peter,
Can you please confirm if your topology is the same as the screenshot

And you wish that the other device (10.20.30.5) can reach RV50 by access RV50’s ACE manager web page? If no, please share yours
Thanks

Hello,

Sorry for the delay.

Yes that is correct.

But I want it to have access to several VLANs (Greater than 10).

Hi @peter ,

As long as, your router can route traffic between Vlans then you can set up the RV50 as below:

I am attaching the diagram for example. I have a PC in Vlan 2 and RV50 in Vlan1
PC: 192.168.86.129
RV50: 192.168.68.38
1. Set port mode to WAN

1. Set IP 68.38 to RV’s WAN ethernet. Verify WAN ethernet is ready

3. Enable Remote Access

Now I can access RV50 (vlan1) from PC(vlan2).
Please share if you have any concerns. Help us tick Solution if it is useful. It might be beneficial to someone getting the same question

Hello,
Oh yeah I see what you are doing.

I’ll give this a shot and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

I have noticed one issue with doing this. By enabling remote access it allows access to the web interface by the SIM WAN IP.

Is there a way to disable network access on the WAN IP of the SIM?