RV50X not receiving SMS with some SIM cards

Dear all,

We are using some RV50X with Telenor Pakistan SIM cards and we realized that the RV50X is not able to received SMS with some SIM cards. All the SIM cards work perfectly fine in a smartphone.

Here are the extract of the logs that I find useful to understand the issue.
I will start with the SIM card that work find.

May  1 06:07:43 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: SMS Message location set to mode: "SM","SM","SM"
May  1 06:07:43 info ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: Set SMS storage response: +CPMS: 0,50,0,50,0,50
May  1 06:07:43 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: SMS storage set to: +CPMS: "SM",0,50,"SM",0,50,"SM",0,50
May  1 06:08:31 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkWirelessDataService - Dormancy Status: Channel Dormant
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkWirelessDataService - Dormancy Status: Channel Active
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetNewSMSCB - SMS Storage Type is: [0]
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetNewSMSCB - Message Index is: [0]
May  1 06:08:32 info ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: processACMIMessages : Notification of new SMS from radio received
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: AL_process_stored_sms : Sms Mode = 1, StorageType = SIM (0)
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: AL_process_stored_sms : MessageListSize : 1
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: getSmsFromRm - SMS Mode is: [1]
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALE`Preformatted text`OS_CELL_RadioTask: getSmsFromRmSMS Storage Type is: [0]
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: getSmsFromRm - Message Index is: [0]
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: getSmsFromRm - SLQS Get SMS  Return Code 0  Tag 1  Format 6 Size 33
May  1 06:08:32 info ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: Processing Incoming SMS PDU
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: Processing Incoming SMS as 3GPP
May  1 06:08:32 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: SMS received from international number
May  1 06:08:32 info ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: PDU Parse Return code0

And here are the log with a SIM card that does not work:

May  1 07:49:42 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: SMS Message location set to mode: "SM","SM","SM"
May  1 07:49:42 info ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: Set SMS storage response: +CPMS: 15,50,15,50,15,50
May  1 07:49:42 notice ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: SMS storage set to: +CPMS: "SM",15,50,"SM",15,50,"SM",15,50
May  1 08:05:17 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetNewSMSCB - SMS Storage Type is: [0]
May  1 08:05:17 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: cbkTestSetNewSMSCB - Message Index is: [0]
May  1 08:05:17 info ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: processACMIMessages : Notification of new SMS from radio received
May  1 08:05:17 debug ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: AL_process_stored_sms : Sms Mode = 1, StorageType = SIM (0)
May  1 08:05:17 err ALEOS_CELL_RadioTask: AL_process_stored_sms Error onn SLQSGetSMSList Code: 1048

The only difference I was able to find is when the SIM card answer to the CPMS command.

The work around for this problem was to fill the SIM card storage with dummy messages and after that the RV50 was able to receive SMS again.

I have more log if needed.

Let me know if this is an issue in the RV50X or if the RV50X is incompatible with some sim cards.

Hi @Romain

Are all SIM cards from the same operator network?
Please delete all SMS in SM storage and try again. Remember to backup all SMS before deleting them.
Which ALEOS firmware are you using? If you are not in the latest firmware, please download the latest one and retry.
Could you help to share your configuration template on RV50x?

Hi @Donald,

Thank your for your reply.

Yes the SIM card are from the same operator Telenor Pakistan.

I already tried to delete all the SMS in storage but the SIM card still answer to CPMS command with 15,50.
I have all the SMS in storage with a smartphone and with the RV50X modem I got the same result.
Maybe some configuration messages are still stored in the SIM card and I cannot delete them.

Unfortunately I don’t have the RV50X modem config.
The modem are now used by our customer and I cannot access them.

We are using the ALEOS 4.13.0 I know that the ALEOS 4.14.0 firmware is available but we need to test the new version before using it. So trying with the new version is not possible for now.

Hi Romain,

I have some advice for you in this case:

1. Insert the SIM card into the smartphone and delete all SMS in SM memory. Remember to backup all SMS before deleting them.
  2. Unplug the RV50x’s power for a while and insert the SIM card into the RV50X then plug it again.

Dear Donald,

Thank you for your help.

I cannot make any test anymore because I don’t have access to the modem anymore.
They have been installed at the client office and I am now hundred of kilometer away from them.

I had already tried the test you describe last Saturday.
Use a smartphone delete the SMS from the SIM card unplug the modem for several minutes and try again.

I had the same behavior.

I found the modem configuration you will find them bellow.
TEMPLATES.zip (28.3 KB)

Hi Romain,

If it still answers the CPMS command with 15.50. This means that the SMS in SM memory has not been deleted yet.
Please check this SIM card with your network operator.

Help to tick “Solutions” if your question is answered.

Hi Donald,

Thank you for your help.
I will try to contact the SIM card network operator, but this is not my SIM card this is the client of my client SIM card.
I am not even sure that they will understand the issue.
So I don’t think this will be possible.

I still think that the RV50X modem has an issue because the SIM card work in smartphones.
Also when the storage is full (CPMS 50,50) the modem is able to receive SMS.

Edit: I have discussed with the network operator. They cannot reset the storage

Hi Romain,

Can you send SMS successfully with this SIM card on RV50x? Please provide a full log of sending and receiving SMS with this SIM card.

Hi Donald,

Thank your for you help.

Yes I am able to send SMS from the RV50. I used the quick test functionality.

I don’t have access to the modem anymore but I have the log from my latest tests.
I am not sure that the log will contain what you need.

RV50LOG.txt (785.2 KB)

Hi Romain,

As I know there is an issue with the inbound reception of SMS Unicode (UCS2) characters on the ALEOS 4.13.0 version.
The Gateway can send SMS but not receive SMS with some providers on ALEOS 4.13.0 version.
This issue is fixed on ALEOS 4.14.0 version. Please download the latest ALEOS 4.14.0 version and try again.
If you still see it on ALEOS 4.14.0 version, please provide a full log.

Hi Donald,

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately I don’t have access to the modem anymore.
They have been installed at the client office.

I will check If I can have a remote access and do an update but this seems unlikely.