WP7607 update problem

Hello,
it’s impossible to update WP7607.

root@iot:/# qmi-firmware-update -d 1199:68c0 --device-open-qmi -u /root/WP7607/WP76xx_Release13.1_GENERIC_GCF.spk 
loading device information before the update...
setting firmware preference:
  firmware version: '02.28.03.03'
  config version:   '002.068_000'
  carrier:          'GENERIC'
rebooting in download mode...
download mode detected
**error: error creating device: HDLC trailing control character not found**
root@iot:~/SLQS/SampleApps/Firmware_Download# ./bin/fwdldarm -s ../../build/bin/arm/slqssdk -p /root/WP7607/WP76xx_Release13.1_GENERIC_GCF.spk 
Detecting USB of the target
DONE
Communicating with the target
DONE
Switching to firmware download mode
............DONE
Downloading the firmware
.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
and its just hang in loop

any suggestions?

How about transfer the .spk file to module /tmp folder, and update by “fwupdate download /tmp/xxx.spk” ?

haven’t tried fwupdate
however updated without no issues using swiflash

@jyijyi
I am in need to access module /tmp. Given the scenario, there are several module plugged to linux pc, How to access individual wp7607 module /tmp dir?

Do you set different ip address for each module or use the default 192.168.2.2

@jyijyi
I dont set any explicit IP.

then all the module will have same IP address and you cannot transfer file…

@jyijyi

1. How to access /tmp for single module connected?
  2. How to set explicit module IP? I guess its not tye pdn Ip assigned by network.
  1. scp xxx.spk root@192.168.2.2:/tmp
  2. you can use ifconfig in module to set the ECM interface IP address.

HI , follow this https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/swiflash/#sthash.s69Z5SnX.dpbs

hi @vitthal.agav ,

Is there any other solutions for Linux non x86 platform?

this also works with x64/AMD…which is yours ?

Hi @vitthal.agav ,

no, I need arm based application

thanks

enable ECM by AT!USBCOMP=1,1,8010D
then you can copy your spk/firware image using scp - scp xxx.spk root@192.168.2.2:/tmp
Then use- fwupdate download firmware.spk
This will flash the firmware

You can send file to specific module also
Enable ECM only on required module by AT!USBCOMP=1,1,8010D… Then you can see only one usb0 with 192.168.2.3 … Then you can ssh and scp to root@192.168.2.2

To disable ECM AT!USBCOMP=1,1,10D

Hi @vitthal.agav ,

Sorry, because I’m new to WP series,

Can you specify more detail about it?

What’s is timing of firmware upgrade in your description?

Should I need to install any 3rd software?

I’m using buildroot to build up a linux router

Thanks!

Hello fashionshow0,

I suppose you are using Linux operating system.
make sure you have installed drivers for WP provided by Sierra
by default - you would get /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/ttyUSB1 and /dev/ttyUSB2 if you plug in the modem.
/dev/ttyUSB2 is your AT command interface. ( you can get minicom application for running the AT commands)

I also assume you are using only one WP module in you linux.
if so, check your ifconfig, if you see usb0 with 192.168.2.3 then you are ready to ssh/scp.

if not, once you are able to execute AT commands, fire below AT commands
AT!ENTERCND=“password”
AT!USBCOMP=1,1,8010D
AT!RESET

after this you modem will reboot and you would see the usb0 (192.168.2.3) in ifconfig.

then you can scp your firmware file as I mentioned in last reply. and run fwupdate comand as below
fwupdate download firmware_file

that’s it, your module will be flashed in a while.

no other/ third party applicaiton is required except minicom ( to run AT command) if you have any other applicaiton that is also fine.

Best luck!
Vitthal

Hi @vitthal.agav ,

Thanks for the reply!

And all assumption in my environment could be applied,

But two more question,

1. Where the fwupdate come from? Does it called fwupd now?
  2. Should I use legato before? Because I’m not using it on our platform

Because I saw the link below on gitHub (GitHub - rhboot/fwupdate: System firmware update support for UEFI machines)

And also in my case, I have to compile fwupdate/fwupd by myself

Thanks!

fwupdate is already in the modem, you have to first ssh into root@192.168.2.2 then you can execute this.
Legeto is not required.

1 Like

Hi @vitthal.agav,

Got it and really appreciate!

please correct me if I’m wrong

So the following operation is for setup the ssh password for module

AT!ENTERCND=“password” AT!USBCOMP=1,1,8010D AT!RESET

And Also

when I ssh into WP7607 and run fwupdate download $fw_filename

it will grab firmware file from /tmp automatically?