When will the FX30 get updated to the latest Legato AF, etc.?

The Legato version here https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airlink/software_downloads/fx30-firmware/fx30-firmware/ appears to behind the tutorials and doesn’t work with the devstudio.

Makes it more difficult to try and use.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,
I’m sorry, but the current roadmap for the FX30 3G will not include the WP85 R16 release. The plan is to migrate to a newer release, R17, but this is only planned for Q1 2019.
BR,
Chris

Hi @cchenry, could you give an update on the ETA of R17 for FX30 modems?

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,
Unfortunately, the release is delayed, so it’s roughly targeted towards the end of Q2.
BR,
Chris

Hi @cchenry, how is the next release looking? Still on track for a release soon?

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,
We’re currently working on R17, targeting towards the end of July.
BR,
Chris

Hi @cchenry, terribly sorry for bugging you on this, but I am hoping it will fix a bug I am having in R14.

Do you have an update on when this will be released by any chance?

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,
I apologize, R17 is being delayed due to a number of reasons. We’re targeting end of August, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s sometime in September even.
BR,
Chris

Thanks for the response. Do you have any idea if it will address the issue I am having (linked in previous post)

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,
It’s very difficult to know if that issue is resolved.

The R17 release will contain Legato 18.06.4. Do you currently use Leaf and/or Visual Studio Code? The new FX30 releases will use these newer tools. The aim is to make development simpler. I recommend familiarizing yourself with these and perhaps starting to port your application to this version.

BR,
Chris

Hello Chris,

Could you please update us on the current status of the R17 release of FX30 3G?
And what about the FX30 LTE EMEA? Is it going to be ready any time soon?

Thanks,
tom

Hi Tom,
We are targeting the R17 release towards the end of October. I apologize for the delay, but we needed to backport some fixes before we could release.

The FX30 LTE EMEA should already be available through your distributor, running FX30 firmware R10.1.1.004.

BR,
Chris

Hi cchenry,

Any news regarding the R17 Release (release date, release note, bug fixed) ?

Hi g.mtz,
The R17 release is currently blocked on unresolved issues with stability and ULPM. My apologies.
BR,
Chris

Hello Chris,

It is really unfortunate that FX30 3G is so far back with sofware updates, using legato version 16, and no leaf support. As the standard WP8548 firmware cannot be used and the FX30 adoptation is delayed/canceled because of new discovered issues I really don’t know how to plan now with FX30. From the original 2019 Q1, we are reaching the end of 2019 and we still don’t know when the release will be available.
I don’t know about others, but for us this is a major issue.

Best,
tom

Hi Tom,
I completely understand where you’re coming from and I sincerely apologize. Because this is a commercial product, we need to resolve critical issues such as AVC1 to AVC2 migration.

For now, the best I can recommend is to escalate the issue through your official support channel.

BR,
Chris

Hi @tomalex as you can see from the number of times I’ve posted above this is also a real concern to us. Recently been released as a product into the market with now no confidence that this we be supported going forward.

From what you @cchenry are saying, it sounds like Sierra Wireless is no longer seeing the FX30/S as an important product family and is not worth investing in anymore? Is that correct? Does this only apply to the FX30 3G (in terms of not developing it further) or are similar blocks stopping development on the 4G variants?

Thanks,
Karl

Hi Karl,
No, absolutely not. I apologize for giving you that impression. The FX30 is a very important member of our product family which is why we cannot release a new version with critical known issues.

It’s a bit complicated, but let me try and explain some of the challenges:

1. FX30 official releases only use WP module official releases. This is because the module itself is carrier certified, released and tested with a specific combination of components.
  2. The FX30 is an officially supported commercial product. Additional carrier certification is required for the FX30.
  3. Official firmware releases contain the same version of components released by the module team. Changes are applied to support FX30 features, like the GPIO expander.
  4. Issues within the release. An issue could be in any of the components: kernel, Legato, radio module firmware, vendor code, etc. Sometimes long delays are experienced depending on where the bug is and how many components are affected, especially with external vendors are involved.

BR,
Chris

Hi @cchenry, thank you for your reply I appreciate you responding. It is reassuring to know development is continuing. What are the plans regarding catching the FX30/S 3G modem up to where the other modules are (the 4G variants)?

I need to support all the variants (3G/4G etc) for worldwide distribution and it is a pity they are not kept up to date at same the version ( or similar at least) as each other. The 3G modem being down at 16.10.1.m3 and the others at 18.06, does not make managing the different variants from a code base point of view easy.

Is there any intention of catching the 3G variant up with the others, or does SW see it as the outgoing technology and therefore wont receive as much development resource?

Thanks,

Karl

Hi Karl,
The current plan is to release an R17 variant for the 3G, which is the latest release available for the WP8548. This will include Legato 18.06.4.

The official FX30 releases contain the same component versions as the module release, but you are welcome to use your own version of Legato if you wish. Just be aware there can be compatibility issues that we may not be aware of.

We are also planning to move the CatM up to R11 (Legato 18.09.2) soon as well.

BR,
Chris