SMS sendig PORT

Dear all

I have a problem and i need your help.
Please tell me how we can port of sending sms in new GSM Q24 series? In other words how to determine the port that the recipient receives the message. Is it possible in this module?

Thanks,

What do you mean by “port” in this context?

Port is a four digit number. Most GSM modem can send SMS to specified port. Java application can start automatically using port. We use Wavecom new Q24 series. Is this possible in our module?

This Java code sends SMS to specified port:

if(c==sendMsgCommand){
            try{
                TextMessage tmsg=(TextMessage)clientConn.newMessage(MessageConnection.TEXT_MESSAGE);
                tmsg.setAddress("sms://09124545456:5000");
                tmsg.setPayloadText(msgToSend);
                clientConn.send(tmsg); 
            }

i’m getting the feeling thay you’re mixing up sending sms over internet to a sms-sending server, and sending an sms from a mobile device.
because to my knowledge, sending an sms to your mobile provider doesn’t require a port.

Me too!

On a GSM device such as a Q-series module, That is correct.

See: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1713&p=6221&hilit=sms+port#p6221

Yah! that’s right but when a J2ME application wants to receive a SMS, we should change the port number. This ability help us running automatically an application.

Please tell me if Wavecom new Q24 series support this capability or not?

What capability?

“ports” are completely meaningless to the Q24 (or any other GSM device) in this context.

The Q24 (or any other GSM device) send SMS messgaes to a Phone number - not a “port”;

The Q24 (or any other GSM device) receives SMS messgaes from a Phone number - not a “port”;

The “port” is only relevant within your J2ME application - it has no meaning to the Q24 (or any other GSM device).

Of course, the Q24PL can support.
My company has developped this application as you said.

You need do some work.

Dear 0574119
Please tell me how we can change the port. Is there any AT command or library to use?
Thanks,

Have you actually read any of the replies so far? :unamused:

[size=150]There is no such thing as a “port” regarding SMS on the Q24 module![/size]

The “port” is purely a feature of your Java environment (on your PC?) - it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Q24 module!

[size=150]No! Because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Q24 module![/size]

Dear awneil

Thank you for your kind reply. I read all of the replies but i think you forget to read the Mr/Mrs 0574119 answer. He/She says that it is possible. I suggest you to study about operating systems. Then port is not for TCP/IP only. It is a concept that an operating system uses to manage its connections. It is true for sms too. OPEN AT is a simple operating system like mobile phone operating system (windows, linux, symbian,…). And if you look at the structure of sms packet, you can find out that there is a place to port.

Thanks,

Dear everybody,

Before you start a war, consider this: every contribution you made here is not entirely wrong. While it is true that the Q24 (or any other Wavecom modem) knows nothing about ports in the context of sending and receiving SMS, it is also true that SMS generally have a notion of a “port”, which similar but not identical to ports in TCP/IP.

Usually SMS are sent from and to a default port. However, if you use the PDU mode, you can include a header called UDH (user data header) which contains the two port numbers (16bit, like TCP/IP): the outgoing port (on the transmitter) and the incoming port (on the receiver).
The Wavecom firmware has no native support for that, that’s why you have to use the PDU mode and do it manually.
Most (if not all) cell phone with J2ME support use this port concept, so sending an SMS with port information to such a phone might actually work.
On the other hand, all incoming SMS (on the Q24) should be checked in PDU mode to see whether the port information is included in the UDH.

By the way, the UDH is also the place where you configure concatenated SMS, SMS containing ringtones and images (usually proprietary, like Nokia), etc…

I hope that shed some light into the rather obscure jungle of SMS and ports…

Best regards,

wismo_coder

GSM 03.40 defines both 8-bit (see section 9.2.3.24.3) and 16-bit (see section 9.2.3.24.4) Application Port Addressing

See: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4251&p=16925#p16915

cross-post:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4251&p=17343#p17343