Port to send SMS!

Hi,

anyone know how can i set a specific port to send SMS ? I have an application on mobile phone that listen to port 5000 only. How can use OpenAT to send SMS to that port ???

Hegler

Surely this is to do with TCP/IP ?!

SMS has nothing to do with TCP/IP!

Do you mean you want an application that will receive a Text Message via SMS, and then forward the content to IP Port 5000?

Or what?

Have you seen this: wavecom.com/modules/movie/sc … ht=sms+api

I didn´t say TCP port, but SMS port. I also never heard to say nothing about SMS port ! However it is true !. In j2me application is possible to use this feature, there is possible to send SMS using mobile:port. That application i saw, will listen to SMS in specific port to capture it.

Hegler

True - you didn’t explain what you meant by “port” at all!

You just said, “port 5000”

So, yes - I did rather jump to the conclusion that you were talking about TCP (or UDP) ports.

OK, no more jumping to conclusions - what do you mean by “SMS port” here??

So clearly that has some specific meaning in j2me?

Open-AT is ANSI ‘C’ - not j2me.

Again, what do you mean by “specific port” here??

Hi,

look that site and see what is my problem :

forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?f … dID=575772

thank you

Hegler

The concept of “ports” there is entirely within J2ME - it has nothing to do with Open-AT.

As far as Open-AT is concerned, SMS messages are sent to and received from Phone Numbers - it’s all done by the ADL SMS Service, or you can just use the standard AT Commands

OK, thank you…
i see that i can´t solve this problem !!!
My app written in openAT can´t send SMS to app in mobile written in j2me !!

Hegler

No, that’s not true.

As far as GSM is concerned, SMS messages are only ever set to phone numbers - this whole “port” stuff is purely a J2ME abstraction.

You can write an Open-AT application to send an SMS to your mobile - that has nothing whatsoever to do with how the J2ME application might handle it…

It works exactly the same in the other direction: J2ME knows nothing at all about how an Open-AT or any other sort of application might handle received SMS messsages - it must just send the message to the phone number!

You need to study your J2ME manuals to determine how to handle incoming SMS messages from non-J2ME applications…

An analogy:

A PC refers to its RS232 interfaces as “COM Ports”, and provides APIs for dealing with these “COM Ports”.

But “COM Ports” are purely an internal representation for the PC - they have no meaning to any other device that might connect to the PC’s RS232 interface…

eg, a modem cannot tell whether it’s connected to a PC’s “COM port”, or a printer’s serial interface, or a dumb terminal, or anything else - all it knows is that it’s an RS232 interface.

And so it is with SMS: a mobile phone or GSM module just sends SMS messages - without knowing (or needing to know) whether they will be read manually by a person, or by some application via some notion of “ports” or any other sort of API…

Hi,
thank you very much. I’m going to see about J2ME SMS !! I think so, you are all right.

Hegler