Q2686 upgrade with DWLWIN


#1

Hi, I know this has been addressed before,but please bear with me. I have read through all the posts but have different problems.

Here is the setup:

  1. Q2686 with all UART1 signals connected (well, except for RING).
  2. nReset is on switch to ground, normally open, grounded for reset. I rely on internal pullup of nReset pin for normal operation.
  3. Boot pin connected through switch to 1V8. ( I also briefly tried 2V8 after no luck with 1V8, as well as 10k to ground).
  4. I switch the Boot pin to 1V8 and the nReset to ground.
  5. I get DWLWIN ready and press “Start”
  6. I power up the Q2686
  7. I release nReset
  8. DWLWIN starts to “Installing the downloader in the Wireless CPU’s memory…” and completes this section. See screenshot below.
    [attachment=1]DwlWinProblem1.JPG[/attachment]
  9. Then nothing happend for many seconds.
  10. DWLWIN then beeps and give this message “Cannot establish the communication with the wireless CPU” and stops.
    [attachment=0]DwlWinProblem2.JPG[/attachment]
    I have tried all sorts of alternatives but with no luck. I used the file “R71b00-cus-q26-03.wpk” that I received from my disti this afternoon with DWLWin V4.1.6.13.
    I have tried with different modules, they are all now not responding even to normal AT commands!

I have also traced on the TXD and RXD lines: During the first part of the download, a lot of data is passed to the Q26, who responds with a single byte back to DwlWin. When the first part is done, the DwlWin sends what looks like a single byte to the Q26, who also responds with a single byte, but after a while it times out and stops.

Any help or pointers or new ideas or miracles would be appreciated.

Best regards
Ivor


#2

seeing that you use com19, i guess that you’re using an usb->serial converter?
have you tried another one? (different vendor, different drivers)


#3

Madouc, yes, I have, i have tried 3 different serial converters and a non usb COM1 but they all did not work. HOWEVER, I have been backwards and forwards so many times without any success, i think it is time to try the COM1 PC again, now that i at least get the first part to work. Thanks for that reminder. Will post the result in a while.

Ivor


#4

Madouc, firstly, well spotted to pick up the COM19 from the images! I went back to the COM1 machine and redid the test on that one and it works. So I have now converted 4 Q26 bricks into working Q26’s.

Thanks for the pointer. I hope this post would at least save someone else the same problems.

Moral of the story… BEWARE OF USB TO SERIAL CONVERTERS!!!


#5

you should insert DODGY in there.
i’ve had problems with some cheap usb->serial converters before
but i can say that i never had any problems with prolific and FTDI.


#6

Madouc…hmmmm, two of the converters I used were FTDI and Prolific… the FTDI one based on FT2232 chip (i think) and the prolific on the PL2302 chip. At one point I had a driver that actually made the Prolific one work ok with flow control, but lost that driver at some point.

Ivor


#7

I’ve got USB->RS232 converer with FTDI chip working on COM1. Same problem, cannot establish connection.
Programming works properly ( I mean through USB->RS232 converer with FTDI on COM1) when modem is connected via USB on Plugin Card working on COM2 as well.
So problem is probably somwhere on my laptop.