Open AT Project Wizard > Memory type ?

Hi,

I’m working with a Fastrack Supreme with 32MB memory on a small Open AT 4.0 application that was previously always compiled with “Wireless CPU options” set to 256KB memory type.

Now I need more that 256KB so I updated the project with the Wizard using the 1MB+ RAM option. It compiled and linked OK, but, when I actually tried to launch the application (with at+wopen=1) nothing happened, while it used to work just fine with the 256KB version.

I’m puzzled right now, the only think I can think off would be a wrong application entry point, maybe…

Can someone point me in the right direction, please :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance

Hiya,

Trap for new players: the memory sizes in the Wavecom doco are given in Mbits, NOT Mbytes…

It’s my understanding (and experience) that only Fastrack Supreme modems based on the new Q2686G have 64Mbits Flash & 16Mbits ram, and support the new 1M+ memory option int the dev environment. The original Fastrack Supreme modems are based on the earlier Q2868H (yep, I know that G comes before H in the alphabet, but that’s how Wavecom have numbered their modules) that has 32Mbits Flash & 8 Mbits of ram.

So check your modem version - it sounds as though you have one of the earlier modems.

The compiler will compile OK, but I suspect that your application is probably trying to access ram and/or flash that is not present on your modem.

Check the output of AT+WOPEN=7 to see why your application is failing to start.

Let us know how you get on.

ciao, Dave

Hi,

I have the 32 Mb Flash / 8 Mb PSRAM version.

The monitoring tool returns
Stack version : B72g01gg.Q2687H
Customer version: R71a01

I was wondering if there is any at command to know for sure what CPU is inside the modem, by the way ?

After reading your response earlier and the documentation more carefully, I concluded that my modem doesn’t support the 1MB+ memory type, but it has 8Mb Ram so it means 1MB, right.

If I compile/link my code using 256KB memory option does it means I can only allocate and use near 256KB of the 1MB PSRAM chip ?

Best regards.

Hiya,

Yes, that’s my understanding.

Don’t forget that the total RAM/ROM environment is shared by the modem operating system (i.e. the firmware that runs the radio etc). I suspect that the 256kByte limit is enforced in the compiler/linker so that the modem OS has got enough resources to operate correctly.

The 256kByte RAM limit has obviously been a problem, as the new (G series) modules have twice the physical amount of ram, and four time the ram available to poen AT applications.

ciao, Dave