I have Lenovo X230 and MC7710. I had Linux on it and now I use again Windows 7-10. My modem is not showing up in device manager. I have reinstalled Ubuntu and Mint - no luck. I cannot find it with lsusb or anything. In Windows I did some live plugging in to the WWAN port (call me crazy). I did show up and suddenly disappeared.
I plugged it in to friends Dell and it showed up like this:
I did again bios reflash and many other tasks such live plugging and it did work. It showed up as Network Card and not as unknown MC7710 (it always showed like that in Windows until Ubuntu -> Windows change). Now I have just updated Windows and drivers and it is gone… Any ideas or solutions?
[ 5.683145] cdc_mbim 1-4:1.12: Unexpected error -71
[ 5.683261] usb 1-4: USB disconnect, device number 2
[ 5.683331] cdc_mbim 1-4:1.12 wwan0: unregister ‘cdc_mbim’ usb-0000:00:14.0-4, CDC MBIM
[ 9.911545] usb 1-4: new high-speed USB device number 3 using xhci_hcd
[ 10.040893] usb 1-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 12 but max is 1
[ 10.040898] usb 1-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 13 but max is 1
[ 10.040900] usb 1-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 13 but max is 1
[ 10.040903] usb 1-4: config 1 has no interface number 0
[ 10.040904] usb 1-4: config 1 has no interface number 1
[ 10.042313] usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=1199, idProduct=68a2
[ 10.042316] usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=4
[ 10.042319] usb 1-4: Product: MC7710
[ 10.042321] usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
[ 10.042323] usb 1-4: SerialNumber: 358178042662108
[ 10.044414] cdc_mbim 1-4:1.12: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
[ 10.044616] cdc_mbim 1-4:1.12 wwan0: register ‘cdc_mbim’ at usb-0000:00:14.0-4, CDC MBIM, c2:d3:68:53:42:48
Okay, this happened to me also so please help me out
My MC7710 in T430s stopped working after I installed latest drivers in Windows 10… the driver package was the Generic driver build 4277. Similarly my modem disappeared and there was only that MC7710 device which was shown to be “unplugged or unattached” by Windows. The MC7710 text was soon replaced by “Generic Mobile Broadband Device”. But then I installed Ubuntu (to try to revive this thing, since it could have been the MBIM thing?), and noticed that the modem was not recognized AT ALL. So I also did some live plugging and found out that it does recognize, but it disconnects after a quite constant time (tried multiple times), so WHAT is happening here??
[ 1368.001553] usb 1-4: new high-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[ 1368.131279] usb 1-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 12 but max is 1
[ 1368.131286] usb 1-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 13 but max is 1
[ 1368.131289] usb 1-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 13 but max is 1
[ 1368.131292] usb 1-4: config 1 has no interface number 0
[ 1368.131295] usb 1-4: config 1 has no interface number 1
[ 1368.132971] usb 1-4: New USB device found, idVendor=1199, idProduct=68a2
[ 1368.132979] usb 1-4: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2, SerialNumber=4
[ 1368.132983] usb 1-4: Product: MC7710
[ 1368.132987] usb 1-4: Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
[ 1368.132991] usb 1-4: SerialNumber: <censored by Modulator>
[ 1368.135758] cdc_mbim 1-4:1.12: cdc-wdm0: USB WDM device
[ 1368.136082] cdc_mbim 1-4:1.12 wwan0: register 'cdc_mbim' at usb-0000:00:14.0-4, CDC MBIM, 7a:66:d9:bf:52:e3
[ 1382.680557] usb 1-4: USB disconnect, device number 6
[ 1382.680638] cdc_mbim 1-4:1.12 wwan0: unregister 'cdc_mbim' usb-0000:00:14.0-4, CDC MBIM
Maybe the modem firmware has started to power down in MBIM mode unless it can communicate with an MBIM driver? The cdc_mbim driver only handles part of the “normal” MBIM tasks. It leaves all MBIM management to userspace. Typically users will run ModemManager with MBIM support, which will take care of the rest.
So first guess is: The modem firmware waits ~10 seconds for MBIM OPEN before powering down. Try running ModemManager with MBIM support when the modem comes online, and see if that changes the behaviour.
You should also observe the output of “rfkill list”, which should tell you if the modem has been disabled by the laptop firmware (aka BIOS).
Failing that, (At least in regards to the windows side of your issue),
I had a similar issue to your current one a while ago, usually after troubleshooting drivers.
I managed to fix it by removing the module from the pc, uninstalled the drivers, replaced the module, and reinstall the drivers after.
Its a little labour intensive, but it did resolve the issue for me at least.
Hope this helps.
This sounds very much like it is a laptop firmware (BIOS) issue. If so, then not really Sierra Wireless relevant…
Anyway, I believe the Lenovo BIOS saves a bit of state related to the radio killswitch feature, including whether or not different radio modules (bluetooth, wifi, wwan, wusb) are present. If this somehow is messed up, then you may end up with a semi-permanently disabled modem. It is disabled by an rfkill software switch you cannot see or change…
“rfkill list” should show an entry for the modem, and its current state.If there is no entry, then that could be the problem and the removal and reinstall procedure might fix it. There is also a slight chance that it could be fixed with a “reset to defaults” or similar in the BIOS setup. If you are going to try any of this, then make sure to take a note of all current settings first so that you can restore them. And if you are using Windows: Disable Bitlocker before attempting anything like that.