Managing different target modems

I installed M2M studio 1.1.1 back in Jan and have been using it to develop OpenAT on Fastrack Supreme. And yesterday I received my first Xtend modem.

But I remebered that the M2M installation is for a particular modem (part of the M2M install process asks you what modem you have and installs accordingly).

So I thought the quickest way for me to get my Xtend up and running would be to just re-install M2M with a different modem selection (Xtend this time). Only M2M wont let you install until you uninstall the old one. But there is no M2M uninstall utility and the install facility isn’t smart enough to do it for you. So I’m stuck.

And assuming I do get my Xtend going, does anyone have any ideas for the best way to manage the crossover to a new platform ? I have a feeeling that I will need to maintain both Fastrack Supreme and Xtend in parallel for a while. Shall I just have two machines with different M2M installations ?

The software installer indeed asks you to make a choice of the product you are using, to help it pre-select the software categories to be displayed on the next pages.
E.g. by selecting a WISMO product, the installer won’t propose you to install neither M2M Studio nor the Open AT Software Suite packages, since you can’t make Open AT applications running on this platform.

But actually, as soon as you select a product which supports Open AT applications, the installed software packages are also compatible with all other products. You don’t need to reinstall anything else.
This can be confirmed by looking at your Open AT project properties, in the Build Settings. The list of Wireless CPUs selected for the project shows that it is compatible with Q26, Fastracks, WMP, etc…

About the fact that the installer refuses to install anything over an existing install: this is a deliberate choice. The installer is only needed for the first-time install, nothing more. Once M2M Studio is installed, all future software update/package install operations are made from the studio itself.

If this is a deliberate choice, then the installer should make this clear. Rather than just refusing to install, it should inform you that M2M is already installed, and that you should use the built-in updater.

What about if M2M gets corrupted, and you can’t use the built-in updater? I have had a situation where GCC died. As far as I can tell, there is no way to repair an M2M installation, either from within M2M studio, or using the repair option from the add/remove programs control panel item (because M2M doesn’t have one). It is therefore necessary to first remove M2M, then run the installer again. However, as has been mentioned before in this thread, it is not obvious how to uninstall M2M Studio. Apparently M2M itself can just be deleted, but other things installed along side M2M have uninstall batch files that must be run.

There seems to be a lot about the install/uninstall process that assumes you have detailed knowledge of the inner workings of M2M Studio.

I totally agree!

All error messages should always give sufficient information to enable the use to know the appropriate corrective action!

OK, go for clarification of the error message :wink:

Yes we know.
In the same thread, I told that the uninstall procedure is not in top of our priorities list, but this doesn’t mean that we forget the topic.