m2mstudio.exe process not exiting

I have noticed that much of the time, when I quit Developer Studio, I have to reboot my machine before I can restart the application. this is because the m2mstudio.exe process is still running even though the applicaiton has exited. Attempts to force-kill the process in Task Manager (or with pskill) results in an error, “Access is Denied”

Has anyone else seen this? Is there any other solution besides rebooting? I am having to restart my workstation about once an hour to work around this, as it is most often seen when Developer Studio looses communication with the target and can not get it back. It is very annoying, and a huge waste of time.

Sorry, I have not had this problem. What version of Windows are you using?

Sounds like rights/privileges issue…
Are you running under Vista or Win 7?
Do you have administrator rights?

Running Windows 7 64-bit, and I do have administrator rights.

Seems that DS has some troubles under Vista/7 when not ran in Admnistrator mode;
cf https://forum.sierrawireless.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=5282&start=15#p21758

Please can you give a try?
(Run as Administrator from right-click menu on m2mstudio.exe)

I hadn’t up to yesterday!

DS appeared to have some problem with a new USB-RS232 converter, and would just hang trying to open the port.
I could close the GUI window, but m2mstudio.exe remained in the Task Manager process list.

I didn’t get any messages at all when trying to kill the process from Task Manager - it just seemed to be totally ignored.

The only escape was to restart the PC.

This is 32-bit Win-XP Pro + SP3, as administrator.

I found that unplugging the USB->RS232 converter did the trick. When my terminal/trace windows stop responding to input from the module (the reason I was shutting down Developer Studio so often anyway was to get them back), I close the port, then unplug the adapter. Most of the time this solves the problem.

Hope that helps.
Cory

Nope - didn’t work for me!

Mine was hanging before it had even opened the port - hence I couldn’t close it!

Any information on the USB-RS232 converter you’re using?
Did you try it with another application?
Please can you run the following command in a Windows shell (while your converter is plugged) and post back the result (identifying the COM port corresponding to your converter)

reg query HKLM\HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM /s

And last request, can you post the DS error log?
Thanks.