GL8200 Firmware Update

We have modems running early firmware for the gl8200 (5.5.22).

It looks like the latest is 5.5.24.2 - in .exe format that wants to upgrade the modem using USB.

Is it possible to update the firmware using the rs232 port?

Thanks,
–Bob

Bob,

You should be able to upgrade using the UART with the following instructions.

1. Open the one click .exe file using the 7z tool (downloadable from the internet, it must be this tool only)
  2. Go into temp.
  3. Edit ‘entry.bat’
  4. In the file change the below two parameters to those appropriate for your PC.
    set DL_PORT=USB1
    set DL_BAUD=460800
  5. Replace/save the file in the exe/archive.
  6. Run the exe, reboot the GL8 and it should upgrade over the UART.

Regards

Matt

Are there any instructions for updating the firmware without using the .exe file? I’d like to be able to send the firmware file to remote systems int the field and perform the update using a simple ARM host processor.

Thanks,
–Bob

@Bob1974,

There are two options.

Regards

Mat

ok - I’m trying to use the FOTA service.

• I registered a device using my IMEI (AT+GSN) and serial number (AT+KGSN=3)
  • I set my apn using AT+WDSS=0,“apn”
  • I set a connect interval using AT+WDSC=3,1
  • I connected using AT+WDSS=1,1
  • Checked the last response using AT+WDSE -> +WDSE: 200

but my airvantage account doesn’t indicate any connection was made and my synchronize system and install application operations are still pending.

Is there a step by step ‘how to’ available for how to make this work?

Thanks,
–Bob

I think I found a solution… the serial number provided by AT+KGSN=3 is incorrect. I had to use the one provided by AT+WMSN - which doesn’t appear anywhere in the AT command reference! AirPrime_HL6_and_HL8_Series_AT_Commands_Interface_Guide_Rev19_0.pdf

@Bob1974,

The at+kgsn=3 command gives you the serial number and the at+cgsn command gives you the IMEI number, it is these two pieces of information the server needs to be able to link the private key it has stored to the device you have enabling the units to authenticate on the server.

You can get a step by step progress report from the unit over its progress (or not) by setting the WDSI bit mask with at+wdsi=8191. The unit will then output unsolicited responses as events occur.

Regards

Matt

Sorry @mlw - that information is incorrect. The “at+kgsn=3” does not give the correct serial number for use with airvantage. You’ll get a +WDSI: 5 authentication failure indication if you register your device with that serial number.

You have to use the undocumented “at+wmsn” command, which gives a serial number that matches what is printed on the bottom of the gl8200 and also works with airvantage.

@Bob1974,

Yes I see the difference in serial numbers now, trying to track the product manager down to point this out as it needs to be documented properly. The at+kgsn=3 command will give the serial number for the HL8 inside the unit but the at+wmsn command gives the serial number for the GL8 printed on the exterior of the case which seems to be the one that the key is linked to in our records.

at+cgmr
SIERRA RGL8200.5.5.14.0.201502091756.x6250_1

OK
at+cgsn

OK
at+kgsn=3
+KGSN: HD506505391310

OK
at+wmsn
Serial Number NC525101250201

OK

Regards

Matt

@mlw I have another question - Now that I’ve manually upgraded a modem using a terminal, I’d like to write firmware to handle to process. Re-sending the same firmware doesn’t actually trigger the upgrade process, because it’s smart enough to notice the firmware is the same. Unfortunately on the airvantage site, if I select the older 5.5.22 firmware it fails because the “binary packets are missing”.

Can you also poke the product manager about getting an older firmware binary up on the site so I can downgrade my modem as well? I really want to exercise this process before attempting it on remote field units.

Thanks.

@Bob1974,

This is part of system operation, while we do have reverse binaries which can take it back the system is only design to allow firmware to go forward. To downgrade you need to do it locally using the one click updater (which you can get from the above link).

By default the updater goes through USB (on the host PC to the UART on the HL8) but you can modify it to go through the UART (again on the PC to the HL8).

Regards

Matt