FXT 003, Beginners tips

Dear All,

I have purchased an FXT-003 kit with the hope to build an application on top of it which can be used to send SMS automatically based on a pre-defined trigger. Now I have been browsing through Sierra tutorials and development kit samples but I think a little guidance from you guys will help me a lot. My questions are as follows:

1. What programming language should I use? as I believe the studio supports C/C++, Java, Lua Scripting, OpenAT applications.
  2. Is the java library free for commercial deployment?
  3. How do I test what I am building? for example, I want to start from an application that sends an SMS when I press a button on a desktop application built in Java, as simple as that.
  4. Can a web browser be built/configured/installed on FXT-003 device (with/without the RJ-45 extension)?

Regards,

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

1. What programming language should I use? as I believe the studio supports C/C++, Java, Lua Scripting, OpenAT applications.
    -> Depends on your requirement…

2. Is the java library free for commercial deployment?
    -> You may like to read below:
    sierrawireless.com/WirelessIDEA
    https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/aplix-wirelessidea-library-online-now/4894/1

3. How do I test what I am building? for example, I want to start from an application that sends an SMS when I press a button on a desktop application built in Java, as simple as that.
    -> The easiest way is to use JavaComm (serial) in your desktop Java application, whenever the button being pressed, it sends the SMS (+CMGS) AT command to the module via UART/USB.
    In such case you can skip the OAT programming on the module.

4. Can a web browser be built/configured/installed on FXT-003 device (with/without the RJ-45 extension)?
    -> There are HTTP/TCP Client and you can get more info/sample from developer studio.

Hope this help.
L

you could just use AT commands to send he SMS through the COM port?

Dear mikepol & lotam,

Thanks for your replies, they were helpful. I was not having a complete picture of the problem while stating the question initially. However, since then as both of you have suggested I have been able to create a small desktop application that can send SMS via the serial port, I use that application via a HTTP servlet to send SMSs from remote machines, however, that means I need to have a PC attached to the modem to make it reachable.

Now I am exploring SDK samples to see if I can get rid of the servlet PC, by moving the servlet to the modem and attaching an RJ-45 extension to it.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,
Ahsan