Comparison always true in Target code

Hello to All!

I’m new to Open AT world (but not to embedded world :slight_smile: ).

I’m facing some problems developing my first Open AT application. It is aimed on communicating with external uC (LPC2000 family).

Sample code - small routine having to UUencode portion of data:

u32 lpcb_LoadUUData(ascii *out, ascii *in, u8 cnt)
{
    u8  ptr;
    u32 znaki;
    u32 sum;
    u8  z;

if (!cnt || (cnt > 45))
		return 0;

*out++ = cnt+32;

sum = 0;

do {

for (ptr=0; ptr<3; ptr++) {
			znaki <<= 8;

if (cnt) {
				z = *in++;
				znaki |= z;
				sum += z;
				cnt--;
			}
		}

for (ptr=0; ptr<4; ptr++) {	
			z = ((znaki >> (18-6*ptr)) & 0x3F) + 32;
            if (z == 32)
                z = 0x60;
			*out++ = z;
		}

} while (cnt);

*out = 0;	
	return sum;

}

The problem is that, while it works perfectly when compiled in RTE mode, when compiled and run Target mode, result of (z == 32) comparison is ALWAYS true, no matter what value ‘z’ holds.
I’ve checked this by making some ‘debug output’ through serial port - ‘z’ printed right before comparison shows proper values and printed right after ‘if (…) …’ block it always shows ‘grave accent’ (0x60) character :open_mouth:

Whole LoadUUData function is called from timer handler with ‘in’ pointing to globally declared array and ‘out’ pointing to array declared within timer handler.

I suspect some kind of bug in GCC compiler, although I work with GCC for ARM7 daily and didn’t have such problems yet so it is hard to believe for me :wink:

Any hints why my code is ‘failing’? Thanks in advance for answers!

PS. Open AT 4.24, Open AT Firmware 663, GCC 4.0.1.0, Eclipse 3.2.2, hardware: Q2686.

Try adding some {} for the if section… The version of GCC used might very well have some weird bug…

Didn’t help… :frowning:
Furthermore, adding some code before mentioned ‘if’ section, changing name of ‘z’ variable, changing function input parameters and even changing type(!) of ‘z’ to u32 didn’t help either. Strange…

Is the code you posted exactly copied from your source?
Would you mind posting the exact source of that function, including your debug output calls?

Yes, the code was copy-pasted from Eclipse’s editor :slight_smile:

As for debug output - if you think of mentioned output through serial port, I don’t have it right now. It was something like sprintf(txt, “z=%x”, z) followed by adl_fcmSendData(trace_port_handle, …) etc. As I said, it only showed that ‘z’ was, say, 0x55 before and 0x60 after ‘if’ block.
Furthermore, apart from this ‘debug code’ (which is removed now), I still have view on communication between Q2686 and external ARM uC - and it shows clearly that - no matter what is passed in input buffer - transmitted UUencoded lines contain “M``````````(etc)”, not expected “MZH`@L.$(```J?P12XP8(etc)”.
Ah, one more thing: returned checksum value is correct and it reflects passed input data, so function really gets this data.

If that really is the exact source, copied directly from Eclipse as-is, you should probably check your code better or work around it in case it’s really a compiler problem.

Other notes:
znaki should be initialized before use, even if it shouldn’t change anything for you…
Doublecheck and triplecheck that you don’t have any ; between if (z == 32) and z = 0x60.
Or simply rewrite that part of the code entirely. Go the naive approach without the for-loop if needed…