Amazon Web Services and VPN

Does anybody have advice on connecting to AWS from remote sites with a Sierra Wireless device?

I’m working with Ethernet traffic and need to make and maintain a network connection between AWS and a remote site over cellular traffic.

The end user mentioned that they have standardized on the RV50.

Also, security is nice like VPN into the RV50.

Thanks for the help.

Outbound traffic from the radio should make it to AWS without any radio configuration.
You’ll need to elaborate on what you mean by “connecting to AWS”.

Can you be more specific? What AWS resources (S3, API Gateway, etc)?
Do you need to connect to AWS’s own VPN called VPC?
How are you connecting to AWS? Is it through an SDK like Node, Python or the AWS CLI?
Can you explain the functionality of what you’re trying to accomplish through a User’s perspective (Eg, I have an application that runs on computer that is behind the RV50. It uses this to connect to AWS S3 in order to upload an image.

Hello and thank you for the reply. I will be happy to expand on what the architecture is between the SW networks.

I’m assuming that AWS VPC has VPN features that will allow a server located at AWS to host software that is a client of servers that are located at the deployed sites and that the traffic is communicated securely between the two. In this case this will be over celluar data via the RV50.

I will attempt to specifically answer your questions:
Can you be more specific? What AWS resources (S3, API Gateway, etc)?
I anticipate the design to be several servers located within AWS VPC. Only one will connect to the deployed servers. There are two options One of the servers will be a client of the servers located in the field and communicate via OPC-UA. Or the deployed server will ‘push’ via an outound connection to the server located at AWS using the MQTT.

Do you need to connect to AWS’s own VPN called VPC?
I find that the AWS VPC has a lot of features that I like however the documentation about VPN and establishing VPN connections with systems outside of AWS to be lacking. Add the fact that the link between the two is the SW RV50 then I’m at a loss in properly understanding the options to accomplish this with out serious effort and trail and error.

How are you connecting to AWS? Is it through an SDK like Node, Python or the AWS CLI?
The servers that exist on both ends have thier own connectivity options. They have out of the box features that communicate OPC-UA, MQTT. The other factor it the need to connect to AWS VPS and then ‘remote desktop’ to the remote server located in the field.

Can you explain the functionality of what you’re trying to accomplish through a User’s perspective?
The purpose of the project is to consolidate server resources by having remote site send their data to a central server in the cloud and to present to the user a seamless way of managing the remote sites by allowing the user to remote into the sites. These remote site have machines that control processes. The central server will track the history of the process as well as afford the user the ability to monitor, control, and troubleshoot the process at the remote sites.

hi there,

we used Direct connect for VZW and VPN connections to AT&T to route the traffic into the AWS VPCs. Note, in order to do it you need to have Private APN and establish private LTE networks. Once, it is there you can utilize any AWS resources.

hopefully this helps to answer your question

Thanks for the answer as it makes some sense. However, I have a managed AWS hosting which is powered by Cloudways. So, does your advice works in my case as I am not using the conventional AWS server.

Actually, I am using the managed AWS server for one of my website. It is an online store which is operational in USA. That’s why I intended to go for the AWS as upward and downward scaling is a lot easier with managed AWS server as it is one of the essential features required in magento cloud hosting.
I still have plenty of storage left in the server. So, I intents to use it for other puposes as well.