WP7702 (module only) default FW

I would like to make a custom board with MCU + WP7702 module. The MCU will be connected with WP7702 via UART and will use ORP. The main goal of WP7702 is to provide communication to Octave cloud.
The main idea is to use default FW for WP7702 (to not make a custom image).
What features (pins, drivers, protocols and etc) does WP7702 have from the box?
Or do I need to update FW from here “Upgrade a Device Locally with the Latest Firmware” to have communication with Octave?

Hi maksym.khomutov,

WP7702’s data sheet is located here

To communicate with Octave, you need to install that firmware and have Sierra wireless sim (include pricing plan).

For the pricing plan, you should refer here

Thanks,

What features will I have in this FW “from the box”?

• how will be setup GPIO pins?
  • will be enabled UART1/UART2?
  • what network carrier is active by default?
  • what peripheral are active (USB, I2C …)
  • etc

Will it be possible in this FW to activate ORP via Octave or should I make additional action via Linux console? Which UART (1 or 2) will support ORP?

Should I have a holder for the SIM, or could I use eSIM?

Hello Maksym,

WP7702 (Smart Sim SKU:1104405) will connect to Octave. It is recommended to update them to the latest software as you mention above.

All Octave features (https://docs.octave.dev) will be enabled automatically without any additional software, including ORP. Octave principle is that you can develop your use case within the Octave framework without any additional custom FW.

Hello,
As I understand all Octave features will work “from the box” in latest SW. It is good.
What about HW parts of WP7702? What will I have “from the box”?

• how will be setup GPIO pins?
  • will be enabled UART1 or/and UART2?
  • what network carrier is active by default?
  • what peripheral are active (USB, I2C …)
  • etc

And should I have a holder for the SIM, or could I use eSIM?

Hello Maksym,

Octave framework will let you configure and use:

• GPIOs
  • UARTS (using ORP, USP or Modbus)

USB is active (for SSH access if necessary). I2C is not active.

You don’t have to use an external SIM, the internal Sim will be used and automatically enabled, providing the WP7702 with Sierra’s SmartSim MVNO connectivity which selects the best carrier at the device’s location.

Best,

A.