RV55 automatic SIM switching

We have enabled automatic SIM switching on our RV55s to switch between carriers in the event of a wireless network outage. However, we have experienced other provider outages where the RV55s still have service, but communications to the head-end site are down. In these situations, we have to log into the provider IOT management website and suspend device accounts to force a switch.

Is there any way to configure something in the RV55s (like the cellular monitor) to switch SIMS based on a failed ping test?

Hi @bpdicenzo,

Welcome to our community!

Could you please take a look at the below question/concern and share your answers?

1. Is the RV55 running the latest version of ALEOS and radio firmware? If not, please update to the latest version to see if the issue persists.
    Here is the link to the latest firmware: https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airlink/software_downloads/rv55/rv55-firmware-list/#sthash.6vTWU2Rk.dpbs
  2. “However, we have experienced other provider outages where the RV55s still have service, but communications to the head-end site are down.”
    → I still don’t quite understand this point. Could you please provide a more detailed description?
  3. Which network carrier’s SIM card are you currently using? Try using a different SIM card to see if the issue still occurs.
  4. Have you followed the instructions for Automatic SIM Switching on page 90 of the AirLink RV55 Series Software Configuration Guide?
  5. If the issue continues, please share the entire log file related to the automatic SIM switching issue and the template file with me.

Thanks,

Hi @jerdung. Thank you for the response. I believe you misunderstood the intention of my query. I am not having an issue with the RV55, I am just asking about functionality that will automatically switch SIMs in the event of a failed ping test.

As I mentioned, we already have automatic SIM switching configured in our devices, which works as expected on loss of network connectivity from the RV55 side. However, we have experienced issues with our carriers on the MPLS backhaul to our head-end sites. In these cases, the cellular network is fine, but we lose connectivity betweem our head-end sites and the entire cellular network. In these cases, the RV55s still have a cellular connection, so they don’t try to switch SIMs. The only way we can force a failover is to access the provider website and deactivate the accounts of the affected devices, which triggers a SIM switch to the other carrier.

What I would like to be able to do is configure a ping test to an IP address at our head-end site. Upon failure of that ping test, I would like to force an automatic SIM switch. The ping test on the cellular monitor tab appears to only have the option of rebooting or cycling low-power mode.

Thanks,
bd

Hi @bpdicenzo,

“However, we have experienced issues with our carriers on the MPLS backhaul to our head-end sites”

→ For this issue, have you checked to see if there are any issues coming from the network provider?

Thanks,