Raspberry CM4, TCP connection with WP7607

I am an absolute beginner with LTE modules and unfortunately not a talented programmer.
I want to establish a TCP connection to the Internet via the USB interface with a Raspberry CM4 and a WP7607. The WP7607 should simply work as a modem and establish the internet connection on its own.
Secondly, I want the NMEA data from the GNSS to be output via a UART.
I have a mangOH red board for programming, later I want to solder the WP7607 directly onto the PCB.
What is the easiest way to realise this?
I am grateful for any help.
Reiner

@reiner

Those are some big questions.

So for the internet connection first issue is the drivers to enumerate the USB end points, here you have two possibilities:

• You might be lucky and the open source Qualcomm driver are already included, they weren’t the last time I looked. While they are not recommended they should work at least.
  • If they aren’t in the kernel then you will have to cross compile them drivers in. There are resources on the internet telling you how to do this.

After that You can start a connection using the procedure in the attached, it does not mention the WP but it will work as the platform is QC based.

Re the GPS, to keep life simple I would not bother with the NMEA over UART, if you have gone to the trouble above of cross compiling the drivers in you will automatically get an NMEA port you can access over USB. The ports enumerate as follows (assuming there aren’t already any /dev/.ttyUSB ports on the system already).

• /dev/ttyUSB0 - Diagnostic monitoring (don’t worry about this).
  • /dev/ttyUSB1 - NMEA port.
  • /dev/ttyUSB2 - AT command port through which you will send the commands to start the IP connection.

Regards

Matt

@mlw

Thanks for the quick reply.

How can I tell if I have the Qualcomm open source driver included?

Regards

Reiner

@reiner

Plug it into the system, the terminal command ‘lsusb’ will tell you what is plugged into the USB hub and you should at least see a Sierra Wireless device, then check out the devices (‘ls /dev’) if you see three /dev/ttyUSB devices then its a good sign, if you don’t then look at syslog and it should tell you if a device failed to enumerate because of no driver.

Regards

Matt

@mlw

I am lucky, I can see
see ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2

Regards

Reiner

@mlw

I have been able to read out NMEA data with AT commands.
Unfortunately I can’t find anything in the AT Commands Reference how to start an IP connection. Are there any other references for this?

Regards

Reiner

@reiner

Forgot to attach this document.
1aec569af75a1ab07c66bf85086071fc482f614b.docx (347.1 KB)

Regards

Matt

@mlw

Thank you for the document, unfortunately figures 3-8 are not available.

Regards

Reiner

@mlw

Does the document exist in its entirety? I can’t find it at Sierra Wireless.

Thanks
Reiner

@reiner

That’s because I put it together and it never made it through the full process to being released officially.
Figures.zip (5.5 KB)

Regards

Matt

@mlw

Thank you for figures 4-8.
However, I think I still need to compile the QMI drivers into the system.

I can see the 3 USB ports ttyUSB0, ttyUSB1 and ttyUSB2 after entering ls /dev. I can also connect to minicom on ttyUSB2 and execute AT commands but when I follow the commands in Figure 4, I only have one interface at+cgdcont? (+CGDCONT: 1, “IP”, “internet”, “0.0.0.0”,0,0,0)
With at!scact=1,1 the answer is +CME ERROR: no network service

Can you please also send me Figure 3 (Building drivers.txt).

Thank you

Reiner

@reiner

The txt file you are asking for is not going to help you cross compile the drivers in as they just show the drivers being built and installed natively.

Regards

Matt