MC8090 Linux Driver

Hi,

I’m looking for MC8090 Linux driver for CentOS 6.7

Thanks!

Hi,

Unfortunately there are no specific drivers for CentOs, you would have to generate them either from scratch using the USB developers guide or adapt the Linux ones.

Regards

Matt

Hm, according to the MC8090 PTS, it supports USB configurations with OBEX, ACM and ECM interfaces. Assuming ACM and ECM refers to the USB-IF class specifications with those names, then these should already be supported by the cdc-acm and cdc_ether class drivers on any semi-recent Linux version.

Doesn’t it work? What do the USB descriptors look like? What USB configuration are you using (the PTS mentions 4 alternatives)?

Not sure what the ECM refers to but you do need to use specific drivers with the unit, it is a DirectIP device so these, as a rule, are included in most Linux distributions. DirectIP is pretty easy to use where you effectively tell it what APN to use and send at!scact=1,1 to the unit and it brings the interface up.

If you want to know more about the USB implementation it is detailed in the USB developers guide at the link below, you need to look at the SL8090 which the MC8090 is based on.

source.sierrawireless.com/resour … ers_guide/

Regards

Matt

ECM is commonly used as an alias for the USB CDC “Ethernet Networking Control Model” subclass, in the same way ACM is an alias for the USB CDC “Abstract Control Model” subclass. Ref
usb.org/developers/docs/devc … 012011.zip

But I see that ECM often is used to refer to Direct IP functions in Sierra documents, so the “sierra_net” driver is a good bet, yes. There used to be an out-of-tree download link around here as well, mostly for earlier kernels without this driver. But I cannot find that anymore.

Hi,

Yes, I understand what ECM drivers, the new HL7 and 8 series supports them i.e. you plug them in and some ethernet interfaces appear. Re the link you were asking about I think it is the below one you are after.

http://mycusthelp.net/SIERRAWIRELESS/_cs/AnswerDetail.aspx?aid=44

Regards

Matt