Architectural-Queries on integrating MC8090 with Linux

Hi All.

This is in follow-up to https://forum.sierrawireless.com/t/queries-on-bootstrapping-with-mc8090/8717/1, with queries for the specific MC8090+Linux integration.

Right now MC8090 is identifed as a network-interface on Linux, made possible by the usage of “sierra” (serial-driver) and “sierra_net” (direct-ip usb-to-wwan driver) kernel-drivers. This “mostly” works, except that we, in the user-application, are not able to access the serial-file /dev/ttyUSB3 (this file is in constant usage by /usr/sbin/ModemManager).

Now, my question is, if we disable loading the “sierra_net” driver, and use just “sierra” driver to communicate on the serial-port, will using the Sierra-Linux-QMI-SDK do the job? In particular,

I understand that we will now have exclusive access (please correct me if I am wrong) to the serial-port /dev/ttyUSB3.

How to do we create a socket to a particular server-port using the QMI-SDK? I can see in the examples that we can start a data-call for a profile (ConnectGSM.c), but I am unable to find how to instantiate a socket through which we can do regular reads/writes.

Will be grateful to hear back from someone.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay