M2Mstudio hogs the COM port even when not connected!

Even when the Target Management perspective shows that M2Mstudio is not connected, it is still holding the COM port open!

This means that other apps - eg, Hypoterminal - cannot use the port.

M2Mstudio should not hog the port when it’s not actually using it (TMT didn’t).

Hiya,

Is this because SELIMA is running to provide the CMUX interface to the Module?

Agreed.

ciao, Dave

Yes, it is; more specifically, SELIMA is running with the COM port open.

So, to be precise, M2MStudio should either not start SELIMA until it’s needed, or start it with the port closed until needed.

Point logged (one more for Target Management refactoring)
But actually, I guess you are requiring that since M2M Studio doesn’t fit (at all) your needs in Target Management. Our goal is that with the future M2M Studio, it doesn’t matter if the COM port is opened or not on startup, since you won’t need another application to connect to the Wireless CPU :wink:

Not at all.

No development tool should interfere with resources that it isn’t actualy using.

While you’re just editing/browsing/building code, there should be no need at all to open the COM port.

eg, the purpose of the app in the Wavecom device might be to communicate with some PC application over the COM port - the development tools shouldn’t interfere with that until it actually comes to downloading & testing.

Ok I get your point.
We usually recommend to dedicate one UART for tools access when making the hardware design, but I can understand the disadvantages of such a solution.
Please be sure that your use case is taken into account.

See also: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=3903&p=15252#p15252

in my experience the serial port is released after a disconnect in M2M studio. (with the latest M2M studio and also with the version prior to that)

Interesting.

So one would have to proceed as follows:

1. Start M2M Studio – it “grabs” the COM port, even though it’s not using it;
  2. Connect – the COM port is now actually in use;
  3. Disconnect – the COM port is released.

Is that correct?
If it is, it’s still a terrible kludge - it just shouldn’t hog the port if it’s not actually using it!

I can confirm the above behaviour,

another route to the same result:
[list=]Start M2M Studio – it “grabs” the COM port, even though it’s not using it;[/list]
[list=]Open SeLiMa[/list]
[list=]Close the opened port[/list]

I get the feeling that this behaviour is caused by selima?
because all the old tools also open the com-port the moment they’re started.

Also just as a pointer to another option.
the mux-config tool is also very handy for connecting m2m studio and hyperterminal (or other software) to the same module

Presumably, M2MStudio should be able to start Selima with the port closed?
Or not start Selima at all until it’s actually needed.

I never used the old Eclipse-based tools, so I don’t know if that did it.

But, with TMT, the only reason to open that would be that you wanted to connect to the target - so it was never a problem with that.

It is a problem with M2MStudio because you might well just want to use it to view or edit code without ever connecting to the target.

I’ve never looked into that - is it documented anywhere…?

I did mean the TMT etc.

It used to be installed with the pre-M2M studio SDK’s
it comes with a start-menu item :wink: and a help file.

it creates up to 4 virtual com-ports on the system wich are all connected to 1 physical port (the one connected to the module)