Although it is vastly superior to M2MStudio v1, it’s still not 100%.
In particular, when things go wrong - especially with USB.
Once it gets itself confused, it usually can’t be recovered without restarting the Studio - and sometimes the whole PC.
It will often say, “the port is in use by another application” - when it isn’t.
Or the port will not appear in the list - when it should be there.
I sometimes see messages about the “USB Scrutator” (?) having failed.
The persistent Development mode seems to agravate this: if the connection is lost without shutting down properly, the device is left in Development mode; when attempting to re-connect, DS seems to get confused by the incoming traces, etc.
I think some testing needs to be focussed on the behaviour in the face of COM port “problems”:
- Unexpected removal of the target device
- Unexpected power-cycling of the target device
- Unexpected reset of the target device
- Target device crashing
- Connecting a target device that is unexpectedly already in Development mode
- Unexpected removal of USB devices
The automatic backtrace retrieval seems to be rather susceptible to things going awry.
This is a real pain when the target gets into a reset loop:
- The target crashes
- The device restarts
- DS starts trying to retrieve backtraces
- The unit crashes again…