Interference

Hello

I just have a general technical question relating to RF technologies such as those used by Sierra Wireless. Is it possible for a car stereo RF to inadvertently interact with a Sierra wireless router? Or are those completely different frequency ranges?

Thank you

Hi @tikilight,
Sierra highly recommends customer do not operate the Sierra Wireless modem in areas where blasting is in progress, near medical equipment, near life support equipment, or any equipment which may be susceptible to any form of radio interference. In such areas the gateway can transmit signals that could interfere with this equipment
The user guide and configuration guide documents are posted at Sierra source to deliver all detailed information to customer during operating/using the gateways. Please refer to them in case you have any concerns. Or input your comment in the topic
Please help tick “Solution” under my respone if it answers your question
Thanks

@tikilight

So to answer the question in a more generic way. 2G, 3G, LTE/5G are all globally licensed bands on a regional basis i.e. you have to pay the local government to operate in them, its the only way it works. So correct the devices we operate on with regards these technologies will not be where a car radio is, you then get the ISM (Industrial, Scentific and Medical) bands which are unlicensed and where Bluetooth, Wifi, LoRa and a million other proprietary technologies work but these are strictly limited by power so they will have a limited effect i.e, 100m or so.

The only time you might hear something on your car radio is when 2G is pinging a base station at full power (for a multitude of different operations but that comes down to poor shielding in the car and for that I am now betraying my age.

Regards

Matt

Hello

Thank you very much for your replies. Many car stereo systems have Sirius XM satellite radio embedded in them. In the effort of posing a more focused question, is it possible for S-Band frequencies (those used by Sirius XM) to somehow communicate with Sierra wireless routers/gateways? Is it possible there exists a defined communication protocol to allow for an interface between these devices?

Thank you

@tikilight

Thats a difficult question given you have not specified a hardware interface which then will strongly imply a hardware interface but also no specified purpose or application? Having said that the answer is almost certainly no unless the satellite module you are talking about has an Ethernet interface to plug into and from which it just wants an internet connection…

Regards

Matt

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. I mean wirelessly, is it possible for there to be a wireless link between the gateway/router and a Sirius XM radio, given that they have some overlapping frequency range.

Thank you

@tikilight

Definitely not, totally different standards, etc.

Regards

Matt

Hello,

So they are operating on overlapping frequencies but the communication protocol specifications would not

allow communication between the two interfaces?

Thank you

Yeah different standards.