Hl7802 gsm

Hi,
Nice to meet you
I have bought few HL7802 module sample and trying to connect with GSM mode in India. Since it supports 2G fallback.
We have requested module name , it giving as HL7802.
When we requested to see available RAT AT+KSRAT=? , it gives us +KSRAT: (0-1)
But HL7802 should allow to change to RAT mode 2 (GSM mode), since "AT+KSRAT=? " not showing GSM mode I can’t use AT+KSRAT=2, it gives ERROR.

Could you please help me to enable GSM mode, what i am missing here ?
How to enable the GSM mode in HL7802, Do i have send any other commands to enable GSM?

Please try the following:
AT+KSRAT=1 // To set NB
AT+KSRAT=0 and AT+WS46=12 // To set 2G
AT+KSRAT=0 and AT+WS46=28 // To set CATM1

Hi,
thanks ,
It worked now. After sending AT+WS46=12,
send available network command AT+COPS=? then it got registered into the network.
thank you so much for prompt response.

Hello,

is there an automatic procedure to configure the modem as NBIoT and if there is no network to fallback to 2G ?

The module is advertised as 2G fallback but in the manual we haven’t seen how this is possible.

Thanks.

Hi Pratos,

HL7802 does not support fallback to 2G automatically.

And in AT guide:
AT+KSRAT=
0 CAT-M1 only (this is the only RAT available on the HL7800-M)
1 NB1 only
2 GSM only (for HL7802 only)

@pratos,

I would also recommend getting hold of the 4.3.7 firmware through your commercial channel, you probably only have 4.2.2 firmware on there at the moment.

Regards

Matt

Hello

Thanks for the answer.

I will get the new firmware.

From the module web page
“The HL7802 module for Cat-M1/NB1 worldwide networks with 2G fallback is fully compliant with the 3GPP Release 13 standard and is Release 14 ready to support NB2 features in the future,…”

So this is a future feature to be developed ?

Thanks.

@pratos,

So go for the 4.3.9 firmware which is on the source now.

There is a release 14 build planned but it will be back end of this year before it comes out but also R14 networks aren’t due out anytime soon.

Regards

Matt

Thanks Matt, i will. Through our commercial channel i managed to get 4.3.7.0 which has bugs the GNSS is short of working and requires powercyling to work once it stops.

Regards,

George

Continuing the discussion from Hl7802 gsm:

Hello.

I have AirPrime HL78XX development kit and I have been trying to connect to GSM network with HL7802 module but with no success.

Here is my AT command log:

AT
OK

ATI3
HL7802.4.6.8.0

OK

AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: READY

OK

AT+CSQ
+CSQ: 99,99

OK

AT+KSRAT?
+KSRAT: 2

OK

AT+KBNDCFG?
+KBNDCFG: 0,0002000000000F0F1B9F
+KBNDCFG: 1,0002000000000B0F189F
+KBNDCFG: 2,0

OK

AT+KBNDCFG=2,6
+CME ERROR: 3

+CREG: 2

+CREG: 0

+CREG: 2

+CREG: 0

Please note that I am unable to download HL78XX Customization Guide Application Note for details since development resource website is down for few days now.

I appreciate your help, thanks.

Hi @dan_d ,

According to your AT command log, it seems that there’s no signal in your area so your module cannot register to network.

Can you please try to move to another place with better signal? Beside that, please make sure that your SIM operator supports GSM network.

Thanks,

Hi @Donald

Thanks for your response.
I am in an area with good network coverage and my local operator supports 2G network.

I did test the SIM on GSM module from another vendor and it can register to the network easily.

Here is the AT command log:

ATI
Quectel_Ltd
Quectel_MC60
Revision: MC60CAR01A05_WD

OK

AT+CPIN?
+CPIN: READY

OK

AT+CSQ
+CSQ: 21,0

OK

AT+CREG?
+CREG: 1,1

OK

I think that this is module configuration issue, please take look at command AT+KBNDCFG? from my previous message.

AT+KBNDCFG?
+KBNDCFG: 0,0002000000000F0F1B9F
+KBNDCFG: 1,0002000000000B0F189F

OK

It looks like GSM bands are not enabled.

Thanks.

Hi @dan_d ,

About your concerns for GSM band, it’s not the issue. As far as I know, HL7802 device scans full GSM band when working under GSM mode, so we no need to config the GSM band on +KBNDCFG command.

My HL7802 can register to GSM network and it has the same configuration as yours.

Please bring it to the good signal area. Where the module will respond to the +CSQ command such as below

at+cgmm

HL7802

OK
at+cops?

+COPS: 0,0,“Viettel”,0

OK
at+creg?

+CREG: 0,1

OK
at+ksrat?

+KSRAT: 2

OK
at+kbndcfg?

+KBNDCFG: 0,00000000000000000010
+KBNDCFG: 1,00000000000000000004

OK
at+csq

+CSQ: 31,99

OK

Thanks,

Hi @Donald.

I will try to get better signal quality.

I have one question. Is this normal for HL7802 modules not to be able to register to network with RSSI of 21 and 0 BER?

Thanks.

Hi @dan_d ,

About the module’s registration, there’s many things which can impact to this process so we can’t judge it by signal quality only.

About your concern for RSSI and BER value, according to our document and 3GPP document.
RSSI=21 can be treated as normal value, however BER=0, it means that module can detect the channel bit error rate so this maybe not good value. Good value can be treated for BER, it should be 99.

For detail please refer to HL78xx- AT Command Interface guide AirPrime - HL78xx - AT Commands Interface Guide - Rev14.pdf (1.6 MB)

And 3GPP document here https://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_ts/145000_145099/145008/13.00.00_60/ts_145008v130000p.pdf

Thanks,

Hi @Donald.

Thanks for your effort.

This is my first time working with Sierra Wireless modules.

For many years I have worked from my office with various CELL modules from multiple vendors and had no signal issues. My usual office signal strength has always been from 21 RSSI and 0 BER to 24 RSSI and 0 BER.
This makes me think that this might be configuration or hardware related issue.

Thanks.

Hi @dan_d ,

Please make sure that you already attached the antenna to the module. It is required for module to get the best radio signal.

Hop this is helpful for you.

Thanks,

Hi @Donald.

Sure. The antenna is attached and all switches and connectors are in their default configuration as per AirPrime HL78xx Development Kit User Guide.

Thanks.