HL7800 waking up modes

Hello,

We are using HL7800 in our application today and I am trying to understand if its possible to wake up/reach/ping the module from a mobile cellular command when the module is in some kind of sleep/power saving mode?

If yes, what does this require from the telco operator; Static IP? any special setup? what about roaming, is it possible while roaming?

Hi @janvidar,
Yes, it is possible to wake up/reach/ping the module from a mobile cellular. You need to verify something:

• Network supports PSM (Power Saving Mode)/ eDRX (extended DRX)
  • The mobile can wake up module by using SMS or IP reception.
  • The module should be assigned a public IP in case it is set as TCP/UDP server or the other devices want to ping/reach to
  • It works fine in roaming

Please see attached document for configuration
AT command:
https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/airprime_hl78xx_at_commands_interface_guide/#sthash.OFLt7Qfl.dpbs
AirPrime - HL7800 - Low Power Modes Application Note:
https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/application_notes_and_code_samples/airprime_hl7800_low_power_modes_application_note/#sthash.jiedaMbR.dpbs
Let feel free share any concern you have. Help us tick Solution if your question is answered
Thanks

1 Like

Hello Vianney,

Our network provider supports PSM yes, but I do not understand how you can reach the HL7800 module in a PSM state using SMS or IP reception. At which chapter in the manual describes this best?

@janvidar,

So first thing to state is that assuming your are in coverage then the unit can wake up and send data at any point.

With regards receiving downlink connectivity and trying to keep it as simple as possible.

• Sleep - Unit is on the network, not employing any techniques to specifically turn the radio off.
  • eDRX - Unit is on the network and it will listen to incoming paging requests up to every 80 seconds (theoretically longer but not in practice), so there will be a maximum latency of 80 seconds between trying to connect and getting a response from the unit.
  • PSM - So the unit is in power save mode, when it is in PSM it has an IP address assigned to it and can go to sleep for minutes/hours/days (depending on network setup), the network typically determines when it needs to ping into the network and this is typically around every 4 hours which is the only time you would be able to send it a message (obviously not good for IP based messaging.

The above is a really simple explanation of the modes, there is a lot more detail and it does not touch on the IP set up.

Regards

Matt

Can You refresh the links in this comment? I am also interested in these “sleep” modes.
We do some tests on HL7692 when it is connected to the TCP server it can go to Sleep. And we see that it wakes up after getting some package from the server. But it is only visible on current consumption.
Is there a way to configure the module to send some AT command or activate some pin (eg. RING) after receiving the package?
If not in this module, maybe a different module with 4G or LTE-M has this functionality.
Without it, active sleep is useless.

Regard

Marcin.

Hi @marcin.postek,
Welcome you to our community!
Technically, the Sleep Mode feature between the HL7800 module and the HL7692 module is different

For more details, please refer to the documents following the link below:
For HL7800 module
HL78xx Product Technical Specification:

HL78xx AT Commands Interface Guide:

AirPrime HL7800 Low Power Modes Application Note:

For HL7692 module:

AirPrime HL7692 Product Technical Specification:

AirPrime HL76xx AT Commands Interface Guide:

If you have any concerns, please let me know so I can help you further.

Thanks,