HL7800 unable to use at+cpol to set operator list

I am using a HL7800 and am switching to a new sim card operator. The new card is an international card but is only going to be used in the US. The initial connection can take 5 minutes. In order to speed this up the sim provider suggested setting the specific operators with the CPOL command. I can’t seem to get the command to work. I tried:
at+cpol=1,2,“310260”,0,0,0,1
ERROR
at+cpol=1,2,“310410”
ERROR
I can set it to a specific operator with the COPS command with o trouble:
+COPS: 0,2,“310260”,7

OK
Does the modem have to be in a specific state to use the CPOL command? What am I doing wrong?

you can enable ERROR code by AT+CMEE=1
BTW, what is the value of “AT+CPLS?”

Have you tried on other SIM card?

Here is what I get:
at+cmee=1
OK
at+cpol=1,2,“310410”
ERROR
at+cpls?
+CPLS: 0

OK
The sim card connects and sends data when set to automatic or when I set it manually with COPS

The sim card I am using is a “1nce” I tried a AT&T card withthe same result:
at
OK
at+cpol=1,2,“310410”
ERROR

The operator “310410” is AT&T

my test has no problem:

ati3
HL7800.4.6.8.0

OK

at+Cpls?
+CPLS: 0

OK

at+cpol?

OK

at+cpol=1,2,"310410"
OK
at+cpol?
+CPOL: 1,2,"310410",0,0,0,0

OK

I have learned a little more about this. If i use a sim card that is not activated “hologram” the ommand works:
c
+WDSI: 0

+CEREG: 2
at+cpol=1,2,“310410”
OK
If is try an activated sim card I get an error:
ati8
HL7800.4.4.14

OK
at+cpol=1,2,“310410”
ERROR
Could it be associated to the software rev of the device? The firmware of your test is much newer. I have gone back and forth with the two sim cards and the results are consistent. The command only seems to work with an unactivated sim.
My goal is to speed up first time registration with a roaming sim. First time registration is taking several minutes. Is there a better way to do this? This only operates in the USA.
Thanks,
Steve

you can try the same FW as my testing.

im pretty sure youre using it wrong.
here, read this, and go from there:

The PLMNs that can be selected by a specific SIM can be controlled in three different ways, according
to a particular EF stored in the SIM and selected through the setting of the +CPLS AT command, as
reported in the following table.
+CPLS setting Selector name EF DTE Permissions on EF
0 User-controlled EF PLMNwAcT or EF PLMNsel Read + Write
1 Operator-controlled EF OPLMNwAcT Read-only
2 HPLMN-controlled EF HPLMNwAcT Read-only
In case the +CPLS AT command is set to a value different than 0, the DTE cannot operate in any way
to modify the PLMNs that can be selected. As a result, the +CPOL AT command returns an error result
code.
PLMN selector not user-controlled
Command Response Description
AT+CMEE=2 OK Set verbose error result codes.
AT+CPLS? +CPLS: 1
OK Operator-controlled PLMN selector with access
technology.
AT+CPOL? +CME ERROR: not found The AT command returns an error result code
because the +CPLS AT command is set to a
value that is not user-controlled.
If the +CPLS AT command is set to the value 0 (i.e., user-controlled) and the SIM card allows to use
the service n.20 User controlled PLMN selector with Access Technology (for more details, see 3GPP
TS 31.102 [16]), then it is possible to modify the user-controlled PLMN selector by removing and adding
MNOs to the list.