HL7748 TCP Commands

I am trying to get a TCP connection to talk to a web server with an HL7748. I do not see any TCP AT commands in the HL7748 AT command reference. When I try to send the commands that are in the HL76XX AT command document (like AT+KCNXCFG and AT+KTCPCFG), all I get is “CME Error:4” received. Which means “not supported”. Is it even possible to perform a TCP connection to a web server with this chip? What commands should I then use?

Alex,

At the moment no it is not possible to use IP AT commands with this unit, you need to try to look at the HL78 which is where we are focusing our efforts.

Regards

Matt

Ok. Thank you. I did talk to my distributor and he is getting me a beta 1.4 firmware for the 7748, which they said should support TCP AT commands, BUT the plan was to transition to the 7800 eventually, so I have asked my distributor to send me a 7800 to try. I think that will be best way to go forward, if it will support TCP commands without any firmware update. I haven’t received the 1.4 firmware yet, so I am not sure what it looks like, but I am not sure how I will flash it to the 7748, as I have not been successful installing USB drivers for the 7748.

This is my first time working with cellular development…I am needing my cellular chip to be able to send data to a web server on a specific port. Is this even possible to do on a current 7748 (without this new fw update that will support TCP?). What kind of data connection can it currently do? I am a little confused,as I have this 7748 that is LTE CAT M1, but I really can’t find anything about data in the AT command reference ( and it cannot do TCP). I can setup my APN with it, get an IP address, etc. What kind of data connections does it currently support?

Alex,

You are not making it easy on yourself using an immature technology (or at least semi new in the US), I would suggest getting it working on an LTE cat one device (of which the devices and network are reliable) initially and then move forward from there as there are going to be a lot of gotchas with LPWA which is going to have even experienced cellular guys stopping and wondering what is going on.

Regards

Matt

ok. So sounds like the 7800 isn’t a great choice. And the 7748 doesn’t support TCP (unless my distributor sends me new firmware and i can figure out how to update it)…I am just going by what our distributor is recommending, but I don’t think they totally understand the functionality of some of them. Which module would you recommend? I am needing to send AT commands to it, to communicate to a web server, as well as SMS messages. Maybe an HL7748 or HL7788, depending on whether we need 3G fallback? I will be using it in my mangOH Red board for testing. I will see what distributor can get me quickly. Thanks for your message.

Alex,

The HL7800 is a great choice for applications specifically going for LPWA, its just that the immaturity of everything right now (network, tech, units) means it is not good for a newbie as you will not have a feeling for where it is or is not failing.

Re unit to use what networks are intending on using for testing (where you are)?

Regards

Matt

I am in the United States and we have been using ATT networks. (As well as my NEO sim card is meant for ATT). On my 7748 device, it has been ok…I can send and receive SMS messages, register and attach it to ATT network, connect it to the APN my sim card provider instructed, and I can get an IP address. Since the 7748 does not support TCP AT commands, what do people use it for? Are there any other ways to get it to establish any kind of data connection?

I guess if I wanted to try a cat 1 device, best options would be the 7648 or the 7688 (for ATT network)?

Alex,

You can do PPP dial up with the HL7748, the HL7800 will work with the cat M1 network they have.

I would just suggest using a HL7648 which is a cat 1 LTE modem.

Regards

Matt