HL7692 DRX parameter - how to change?

Hi!

How can I change manually DRX value in HL7692 module?
In HL7802 there is specific command AT+KDRXCFG, but there is no such in HL7692.

Now my module has DRX at 320ms and consumes a lot of energy. I would like to get DRX = 2.56 s.
Can anyone help me? :slight_smile:

Greetings!

Hi @Idzik

HL7692 does not support DRX value change.

Ok thanks for the answer
:slight_smile:

@Idzik

Just to qualify the statement, all DRX values are network controlled, no UE/ME has the capability to set it.

Regards

Matt

Ok, but HL7802 has ability to control in same way this parameter’s value by command AT+KDRXCFG. And I could set it just like I wanted to :slight_smile:

@Idzik

So your post has caused a bit of discussion and we are looking around to actually see what that command does as for these sorts of things the unit can typically request a value but the network always has the final say so the statement in the manual where it says ‘it is mandatory for the network to accept the value’ may well be incorrect which we are looking at right now. Its certainly not an option on any of our other LTE units that we have ever produced.

I will get back to you.

Regards

Matt

@Idzik

So we have confirmed that yes you can set the DRX from the LTE side on the HL78, you cannot on 2G, the network sets what it wants you to do and that’s that. So that’s a generic answer for the HL78 and the HL7692 (I originally answered the question from a HL7692 2G perspective).

Regards

Matt

So there is no possibilty to change DRX on any other Sierra’s Module than HL7802?
On HL7692 I wanted on LTE perspective. 2G does not have such possibility.

Do you consider to include this command AT+KDRXCFG on other modules too?

Michal

@Idzik

HL7692 is very old now and is long since past having new features implemented in it. We might implement it in newer modules like the WP or the RC series but it is dependent on the chipset provider giving an API access to allow us to do it in the first place.

Short term answer right now is no.

Regards

Matt

@mlw

Ok thanks.

I have another question about these two modules (HL7692 and HL 7802)
I made some power consumption measurements and I noticed something strange about 2G technology usage in these modules.

In HL7692 average current is about 13.5 mA during IDLE/RUN state.
And in HL7802 average current is about 67 mA during the same state!
Why there so much difference in power consumption between these two?

Regards,
Michal

@Idzik

Different chipsets, different behaviour although the specification states 35-38mA for the HL780x in this mode. The unit has not been optimised for idle mode, you are far better off pulling the unit in and out of sleep using DTR, you will start getting an average current down in the low single digit mA region with a small effort on the application side given it does not take long to come out of sleep.

Regards

Matt

@mlw

Product Technical Specification (August 2020) states there is 35 mA in running mode for LTE-M, but there is no information about 2G. That’s why I made some measurements.
And that’s true that coming out of sleep is quite fast, but going to sleep is long in HL7692 (even 7 seconds!!). So in some cases sleep it’s not useful at all.

I don’t understand why 2G wasn’t optimized in HL7802 when in HL7692 it had very good current consumption parameters.

Is there any chance that 2G will be optimized in HL7802 in future fw release?

Regards,
Michal

@Idzik

While it is being discussed, short term it is unlikely this will change. Something like this might seem simple but can quite easily get complex and require chipset OEM support.

Regards

Matt

@mlw
It’s sad, becuase it makes HL7802 not so low power at all cases. Old HL7692 seems better after all (even better than LTE-M)

Thanks for answers.
Regards,
Michal