GSM antenna on pc-board

Does anyone have a design for a GSM antenna etched on pc-board? Alternatively how can I make a small GSM antenna to fit inside a small enclosure?

hello,

I don’t want to disappoint you, but that is very complicated question.

I don’t know what is the purpose and the integrity (size) of your product, but it its going to be a tiny commercial product i advise you to turn to an antenna expert and he/she will design a well balanced antenna for your product with
appropriate tools.

Anyway, a lambda/4 lenght thick wire should be sufficient in most cases.

Best Regards,

tom

I have recently tested couple of GSM chip antennas from RainSun Corp. The performance quite good and the size is small.

It would be more helpful if you could give contact details and part references - and, preferably, a web link…

I have been using a quadband Tyco antenna in the states for a few years now on our current modem (Enfora) and have also been using it with our Wavecom modules (Q2687) in development (Wavecom will be replacing the Enfora modems in our application). I get great signal strength. I am currently getting a +CSQ of 31. Of course I am surrounded by towers where I am at, but our lowest CSQ out in the field is 20.

Here is the link. We have it embedded in our PCB design. One of the important specs that is not is not found at that link is that you need a reference plane (NOT attached to the PCB ground plane!) of… length must be at least 110 mm and a width of at least 40 mm. You can get a sample from Tyco that includes the antenna, the refernce plane and a mini coax cable assembly.

I have attached images that show the sample assembly and also images from our application (our application images show a gps antenna inside the reference plane - Disregard that).
[attachment=0]assembly.jpg[/attachment]

I think the sample assembly cost $15 US dollars. The following are quotes for just the antenna:
QTYPrice (US $)
1,000…$1.75
5,000…$1.10
10,000…$0.72

Hope this helps someone,
Scott
[attachment=1]assemblyOnDevBoard.jpg[/attachment]
[attachment=2]application.jpg[/attachment]

Hi,
I have been using taoglass FXP-04b-PI.
It is a Flexible Penta-band GSM Antenna.
You should ask taoglas.com for it
Specification Penta-band Cellular
Communication System AMPS GSM DCS PCS UMTS
Frequency (MHz) 824 ~ 896 880~960 1710~1880 1850~1990 1710~2170
Average Efficiency 25% 26% 28% 21% 23%
Average Gain 0.46 0.70 -0.56 -2.0 -1.7
Impedance 50 Ohm
Radiation Pattern Omni-directional
Polarization Linear
Operation Temperature -40℃ ~ +85℃
Storage Temperature -40℃ ~ +85℃
SMT Temperature 360℃ for 10 seconds