GID1 value in Windows

AT commands has no value here. Windows reads SIM parameters through MBIM/Windows drivers ( as far as I know). I need to know if these layers deliver GID1 value or not. Currently I don’t see GID1 value in Windows logs.

How do you read this value through mbim?

Maybe you change another sim card and see if there is value in AT command

My test sequence is:

• activate netsh tracing by command “netsh trace start wwan_dbg,provisioning persist=yes”
  • insert USB modem having EM7455 module
  • wait for cellular modem appears with SIM
  • stop tracing by command “netsh trace stop”
  • view generated log file (ETL-log) by Windows Trace Viewer (downloaded from MS Store)
  • find GID1 value in the log file → cannot see correct GID1 value

The same sequence with another modem vendor shows correct GID1 value in the log file.

I would ask you how you test MBIM interface.

what interface is used in another modem vendor ? MBIM?

Can you find a SIM card that can read GID1 by AT command ? And then test the same sequence and see if MBIM is OK to read that value.

Exactly the same test sequence as described in my description above.

This is exactly that I have tried all the time. AT-command return GID1 ok. MBIM/Windows drivers not. They show FF as I listed above.

you mean you cannot just go with AT command?

Unfortunately Windows cellular settings uses MBIM method as far as I know.

My use case is the following:

• we have own global SIM card/SIM profile
  • Windows identifies SIM card/profile based on GID1 value
  • Based on correct SIM card/profile identification Windows offer services like Mobile Plan

It would be nice that we could recommend our customers to use Sierra modem but currently SIM detection does not work due to GID1 issue.

If the latest FW does not solve the problem, probably you need to contact distributor to request for a FW fix.

My modem has firmware:
Revision: SWI9X30C_02.33.03.00 r8209 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 2019/08/28 20:59:30

Is there newer available?

You can see here

https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/minicard/74xx/airprime-em_mc74xx-approved-fw-packages/#sthash.93DjBfUF.dpbs

I have everything ok with modem firmware. Finally I did not receive any response to my original question that I wrote in my the first comment " I wonder if Sierra Windows driver lack support of reading GID1 from SIM."

Based on this discussion I have to answer myself. Sierra modem EM7455 installed properly to Windows does NOT support SIM GID1 value reading. Is this the final result?

Any plan to update Sierra Windows driver?

" Based on correct SIM card/profile identification Windows offer services like Mobile Plan"

Is this done by your program?

Windows has own mechanism to detect SIM card. See COSA overview at Microsoft pages.

Operators (like us) can define SIM detection rules and Windows follows these rules to detect specific operator. Mobile plan is fully based on operator SIM detection and services are available based on SIM detection. We use GID1 for detecting our SIM profile. But it does not work with Sierra modem and Sierra driver.

Hi @Tuomo.liedes,

If I’m not wrong you are wishing to communicate with device through Window by MBIM interface? If yes, could you please help to re-check that whether the MBIM interface is enabled

Please refer to the document here to know how to enable MBIM interface: AirPrime EM74xx-MC74xx AT Command Reference page 56

Thanks,

I can not check if MBIM is enabled or not:

AT!USBCOMP?
ERROR
AT!USBCOMP=?
ERROR

Hi @Tuomo.liedes,

Due to the AT!USBCOMP command is protected so, please unlock it first. Please try the below commands:

AT!ENTERCND=“A710”
AT!USBCOMP?
AT!USBCOMP=?

Thanks,

AT!ENTERCND=“A710”
OK
AT!USBCOMP?
Config Index: 1
Config Type: 1 (Generic)
Interface bitmask: 0000100D (diag,nmea,modem,mbim)
OK
AT!USBCOMP=?
!USBCOMP:
AT!USBCOMP=,,
- configuration index to which

Fix to previous message:
AT!USBCOMP=?
!USBCOMP:
AT!USBCOMP=,,
- configuration index to which

Hi @Tuomo.liedes,
In case you can get GID1 value from same sim card & Window on the another module. Please contact your distributor for the fixed
Thanks