Factory Reset FX30

Hello all,

I am trying to get help factory resetting the FX30. The FX30 is one of the first IOT Gateways I’ve had the opportunity to use, so I’m still trying to understand everything. So far, I have read in the manual that the Recovery Activation status needs to be set to Enable. An AT command is listed here for how to change it (AT!FWD=FACTORYRECOVERY,ENABLE), but I cannot figure out how to use the AT commands. I SSH into the FX30 successfully and have read GPIO pins using Linux commands (cat /sys/class/gpio/gpioxx/value), but I cannot get the command to switch to AT mode (microcom -E /dev/ttyAT) to work. It returns this message (-sh: -E: not found). Without being able to use AT commands I don’t know how I can reset the FX30. I have pressed and held the reset button, but the virtual resources I created are still there. I also tried to connect via serial, but I couldn’t get the COM port the FX30 is connected to to do anything. Any help with this would be appreciated, thanks.

how about just “microcom /dev/ttyAT”

Thanks for the suggestion, but this command also didn’t work. After that, I connected through serial instead of ethernet, and I was able to use AT commands through that connection. I then reset the FX30, and I know that I successfully reset the FX30 because I had to create a new password whenever I connected again via SSH. What I’m confused about is that everything remained the same on the Octave website (virtual resources, edge actions, observations). I thought that a factory reset would reset the Octave website as well. Does anyone know a way to reset the FX30 and the Octave website?

Hi @wilson.teachey,

What command did you use to factory reset the FX30?
The (AT!FWD=FACTORYRECOVERY,ENABLE) command only enables factory reset via the push button. When a user logs in via ssh the first time, you’re prompted to create a Linux password.
You’re right though, if you factory reset, you will be prompted again to enter a new password.
In order to factory reset, remove power, press and hold the pushbutton, apply power and release the button after around 12 seconds.
I’m not clear what you mean by reset the Octave website. If you purchased an Octave SKU, then the software will not be removed when you factory reset.

BR,
Chris

Hey @cchenry ,

Thanks for the response, and let me provide more info about what I did and what I want to do. After I was able to enable the factory reset via the button, I reset it using the push button by turning off the FX30 and rebooting it. The procedure you described above is how I reset the FX30.
The reason I wanted to reset the FX30 is because my company is using the Energiya IO cards, but they stop working whenever a blueprint is applied from the Octave website. I wanted to have a clean slate on the FX30, but the blueprint that I applied using the Octave website is still on the FX30 after the factory reset and the Energiya cards still do not work. Since the Octave website is just a way to program edge actions and view memory, I thought that a hard reset would reset the resources in memory as well.
Right now, our main priority is getting the Energiya cards working again. We’ve already been in contact with their technical support, but we haven’t found a solution yet. If you have any steps we could take that might help please let me know.

Thanks,
Wilson Teachey

Hi @wilson.teachey,
I think you can install the regular prebuilt FX30 binaries that you can download from the source. Or, you could try using AVMS and select the official FX30 package that matches your model.
BR,
Chris

@wilson.teachey

The closest you can get to resetting the unit back to being factory fresh is loading one of the standard images and using the rmareset command i.e.
at!entercnd=“A710”
at!rmareset=1

Regards

Matt

@mlw @cchenry

Thank you for your responses. I’ve fixed the problem that I was having.

Thanks,
Wilson Teachey

1 Like