EM7455 showing only QDLoader port with error 10

Hi!
I just got a Lenovo branded EM7455 and I’m trying to install it in a non-Lenovo laptop (Clevo).

I wasn’t even able to try the many guides on how to do this and how to rebrand the card, because the only device shown in device manager is “Sierra Wireless EM7455 Qualcomm Snapdragon X7 LTE-A QDLoader Port” reporting error code 10 (device cannot start), although I discovered that trying to install the Sierra generic drivers makes the location sensor visible (without errors) until reboot.

After some research I found out that the QDLoader port is used for firmware update, so I downloaded the latest firmware from Sierra download page but all I got from the FDT is error code 82

What can I do to solve this problem?

Hi,

You cannot, the device was sold to Lenovo and is locked down to them as per their requirements.

Regards

Matt

What? QDLoader just says that the device expects a firmware file. It is in firmware download mode. What does this have to do with Lenovo or Dell?

@ElectricFighter maybe this will work for you: https://sigquit.wordpress.com/tag/firmware-upgrade/

Hello,

“I just got a Lenovo branded EM7455 and I’m trying to install it in a non-Lenovo laptop (Clevo).

Based on information, that “lenovo branded EM7455” actually designed for “lenovo” laptops with a specific QMI drivers not a default Sierra QMI “generic” drivers. From my understanding “QDLoader Port” which means that module was not completely boot., Above problem could be resolved by installed “non branded” EM7455 on Clevo.

The module fails to initialize on windows (error 10 in device manager) that’s why I think it’s not only firmware related @fs1

At the moment I only have access to this Lenovo branded module, so I cannot test a non branded version. I thought that the only difference between the lenovo one and the generic is based on the firmware, so if I manage to flash a generic firmware on it, would it work?

What I managed to do until now is changing USBCOMP mode, through a live version of Ubuntu, to 8 so that the other ports are recognized in Ubuntu, however they are still unrecognized in Windows. As I understood the Lenovo module should wait for the “FCC Auth” signal at boot and that would explain why it fails to initialize (since there aren’t drivers installed that can give that signal). If this is something managed by the firmware, would flashing the generic firmware make it work? If not what’s the whole point of rebranding?

I don’t want to risk to brick the module so if someone already managed to do something similiar their help would be appreciated.

I’m pretty sure the module itself works since in Ubuntu (and in Windows when there are NO drivers installed at all, using generic Windows one) I was able to get the correct newtork operator identified, along with info on the phone number, IMEI and FW version installed

FCC Auth has nothing to do with it. Even with no FCC Auth, the QDLoader port should not be there.

Should I try to flash a Lenovo firmware then? The problem is if FDT doesn’t recognize the module how can I do it? Also on Lenovo website I only found Windows drivers in the download section, no trace of firmwares, how do I get that?

Hello,

That means you had tested “Lenovo Branded EM7455” on Ubuntu, which means you could see “/dev/ttyUSB?” especially “/etc/ttyUSB2” where can be accessed via “AT” commands. Then you could change that “Lenovo Branded EM7455” to “Generic” EM7455 through below AT commands.

AT!ENTERCND=“A710”
AT!USBPID=9071,9070
AT!USBVID=1199
AT!USBPRODUCT=“EM7455”
AT!PRIID=“9904802”,“001.001”,“Generic-Laptop”
AT!RESET

All above commands are taken from “Change Lenovo Branded EM7455 to DELL” (can be found within this site).

Regards,

@zabo2480 Yes, I can see ttyUSB2 but looks like I’m unable to access it. I tried with screen /dev/ttyUSB2. Is there any specific program I should use to issue AT commands?

Hello

Under ubuntu it has a default tool “minicom” to get access “/dev/ttyUSB2”. If not installed pls install this tool. To access that tty you can use “sudo minicom -s” and change default tty to “/dev/ttyUSB2” and save then exit where you already inside that device. You can test these commands “ati” or “atz” till you could see ok.

Regards