EM7455 - Can't find NMEA data on COM Port with Windows 10

I have a new Panasonic Toughbook CF-33 with a EM7455 chip, running Windows 10 Build 1803.

It shipped with a different OS and then was given my organization’s standard image or some variation of it.

My role is to install GIS software and get the GPS working, and I’ve been wrestling with it for a while.

Before changing any settings, I went into my GIS software and had it scan for a GPS device on the COM ports as I usually would; it didn’t find anything. I interrupted the boot process and checked the settings; GPS was enabled there.

Here’s what I’ve done since then:

-Downloaded ‘WWAN Driver for EM7455’ from Panasonic support website and installed it.
It shows that it’s at driver version 16.10.1005.43

-Downloaded ‘One-Click Bundle for Toughbook CF-33’ from Panasonic and installed it.
This provided the Panasonic PC Settings Utility and GPS Viewer application

-In Device Manager, reassigned ‘Intel Active Management Technology’ from its initial COM port 3 to COM 10. (I’d read that having a different device occupying port 3 could cause problems, and I’d found that too on different laptops).

These have all been accompanied by reboots and retesting with no luck.

Under Panasonic’s PC Information Viewer, it lists these:

Sierra Wireless Incorporated Sierra Wireless Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A DM Port (COM6) 16.10.1005.43
Sierra Wireless Incorporated Sierra Wireless Snapdragon™ X7 LTE-A NMEA Port (COM5) 16.10.1005.43

But in Device Manager under Ports it lists only the first one on COM6. My GPS software and the Panasonic GPS Viewer still do not find a GPS device.

If anyone has any pointers on this I’d really appreciate it. Thanks.

Btw I talked to Panasonic Support about this and their first suggestion was to download the 1-click bundle, and their next suggestion was to send it in. I’d rather not do that if I don’t have to.

what is the return of AT!USBCOMP?

Thank you for replying. I could use some basic step by step instructions as I’m new to much of this.

Would this be using putty to connect to the GPS unit?

Thanks.

In device manager, there should be a modem port.
Connect this com port with putty

Device Manager says that I have a Sierra Wireless Snapdragon X7 LTE-A WWAN Modem on COM7 at 115200 Max Port Speed

So I seem to have connected OK in putty, but there’s some issue, here’s the log:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2020.04.15 10:09:51 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
ati

Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Model: EM7455B
Revision: SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00 r6691 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 2016/06/30 10:54:05
MEID: 99000824116571
IMEI: 990008241165716
IMEI SV: 6
FSN: LF914602160110
+GCAP: +CGSM

OK
AT!USBCOMP/?

ERROR
AT!USBCOMP

ERROR

You need to first enter at!entercnd=“A710”

This is what I get:

Then did you see nmea com port in device manager?

No, all I see is this:
CaptureDeviceManager

However, in my GIS software it has Sierra Wireless NMEA on COM5 as an option. But when I choose it, no data is being received.

Then probably the driver has problem as no nmea com port is found in device manager

Thanks, I’ll check that out. Appreciate the help!

Since my last post I have:

-Uninstalled the modem
-Installed the generic USB driver 4836 that I downloaded from Sierra (this is different to the driver I’d tried before which was downloaded from Panasonic)
-Found that it now says in Device Manager that it has an NMEA port on COM5 (see screen shot)
-Run the GPS Viewer and my GIS software, and found no GPS data on COM5 (or any other port)
-Got the following info in a Putty session:

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~= PuTTY log 2020.04.24 09:57:48 =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
at!entercnd=“A710”

OK
at!usbcomp?

Config Index: 1
Config Type: 1 (Generic)
Interface bitmask: 0000100D (diag,nmea,modem,mbim)

OK
at!gpsnmeasentence?

!GPSNMEASENTENCE: 0x7FFF

OK
ati

Manufacturer: Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Model: EM7455B
Revision: SWI9X30C_02.20.03.00 r6691 CARMD-EV-FRMWR2 2016/06/30 10:54:05
MEID: 99000824116571
IMEI: 990008241165716
IMEI SV: 6
FSN: LF914602160110
+GCAP: +CGSM

OK

Any further input appreciated. Maybe it’s a configuration issue with the device now?

You can have a try on skylight software which can be downloaded in source.sierrawireless.com.

I guess your gps software does not any nmea frame in com5.

I installed Skylight, but it says ‘No SIM inserted’, which is correct, there is no SIM.

There doesn’t seem to be anything else I can do in Skylight right now, does that sound right?

You can try using at!gpstrack or at!gpsfix command and see if there is nmea frame in com5

I did:
at!gpsfix=1,255,1000

The response was:
ErrCode = 26

According to the command reference I have that’s an Unknown Error.

Seems others does not have such problem.

I am trying to get the nmea gps data from an EM7455 snapdragon X7 LTE-a WWAN modem and I have a NMEA COM port. When I look at it with putty I see data, sometimes it is intermittant, but I cannot get the location in Skylite or my software. Anyone have any ideas?

You can try using at!gpstrack or at!gpsfix command and see if it can get a fix by at!gpsloc

Thanks! I will try that

Thanks, Linda
757-268-7325