Developer Studio 1.2.0 beta available

Dear Developer Studio users,

We’re glad to announce that the long awaited beta version of Developer Studio 1.2.0, including complete Target Management rework, is now available for download.

For this release, we are providing two kinds of deliverables:

• Either a complete Developer Studio installer
  • Or a smaller “TM” application, just containing the Target Management (+ Package Manager) facilities (i.e. without the Open AT application build system)

Developer Studio installer can be downloaded from here: http://updatesite.sierrawireless.com/beta/1.2.0.M3/DevStudio120M3Setup.exe

TM application archives can be downloaded from here:

A release note listing changes since 1.1.2 can be found here: http://updatesite.sierrawireless.com/beta/1.2.0.M3/releasenote.html

This version is still a beta one, so it includes some known issues listed below:

• No RTE Debug
  • No backtrace decoding (feature planned in final 1.2.0, but not available yet)
  • No capability to save traces in a file
  • Sometimes, requests sent to the target (download request, traces configuration) are lost. A simple workaround can be to simply close and reopen the connection.
  • Sometimes, exception can occur when creating a new Open AT application project

The release plan for 1.2.0 (for now) is:

• a Release Candidate delivery in late October, with all features (delivered only on the forum, as this beta release)
  • a final release in November, to integrate bug fixes (delivered on official update site)

Please don’t hesitate to send us any remark or feedback you should have regarding this beta version.
Enjoy using this new Developer Studio release!

Good news!

:slight_smile:

I think the ability to save Traces is an absolutely fundamental feature - please can that one be made a priority, with an update to include it ASAP?

We’ll have a though about this. I’ll let you know if we can deliver another beta before the RC.

I don’t think it is a beta vesion. I would say it is only an alpha. :slight_smile:

Hehe, yes, I have to agree with that, beta means “feature complete, but untested”, 1.2.0 is in deep alpha as I can see :wink:

Ok, let’s call it an alpha if you prefer :wink:

Seems like a bit of an alpha to me.
I’m trying the Target Managment only version.
There are glimmers of hope in what might be, but currently:

1, It can’t deal with a COM port in DATA mode - it won’t let me type in +++
2, its difficult to get traces to work reliably - I haven’t managed, but I have seen them appear.
3, sometimes the console will not open, but Traces are appearing.
4, It took a while to find the TRACES view.
5, If I refresh available serial ports the my USB-serial port disappears - I have to relaunch the app.

Sorry about the split posts. the forum was being difficult. I’m trying the forum. … and this seems better.

Yes, once its all working this will be great, I’ll be able to get rid of the spare XP PC on my desk!

Known issue. We can’t provide a full data mode support in 1.2.0, but we’ll make sure that we handle at least the +++ sequence properly.

The internal communication stack integrated in this version is not the final one. We’re expecting far more stability in the RC.

Same than 2.

Default behaviour (new workspace) will be modified: Traces and Info views will be opened by default in the TM perspective.

Thanks for the report, we’ll investigate on this point.

Hi Ben,

I’m trying to investigate about this bug. I can’t reproduce it. Do you talking about some “USB to Serial port” adapter ? If yes, could you give me the model and brand of this adapter ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Nicolas,
No its not an adapter, just the SierraW USB driver-USB connection to the FSU20 mimicing a COM port.

Hi all,

a new build for the Developer Studio beta release is available for download from now.

Developer Studio installer can be downloaded from here: http://updatesite.sierrawireless.com/beta/1.2.0.M4/DevStudio120M4Setup.exe

TM application archives can be downloaded from here:

A release note listing changes since 1.1.2 can be found here: http://updatesite.sierrawireless.com/beta/1.2.0.M4/releasenote.html

The delta regarding the M3 release is summarized below:

• Preliminary version of backtraces decoding functionality
  • Trace logging in a file
  • Latest internal communication stack enhancements, leading to a global significative performances improvement

This version is still a beta one, so it includes some known issues listed below:

• No RTE Debug
  • Sometimes, the application may stay frozen or close with a brutal crash when closing a connection
  • Connection to Q24 CPUs doesn’t work

Please don’t hesitate to send us any remark or feedback you should have regarding this beta version.
Enjoy using this new Developer Studio release!

An error occurred while installing the items
session context was:(profile=epp.package.cpp, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Install, operand=null --> [R]com.wavecom.openat.ide.ebs.armeabigcc.linux 4.4.1, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.eclipse.actions.ChmodAction).
The action chmod failed - file /opt/eclipse/tools/armeabigcc/4.4.1 does not exist.

i get this error report when i try to install the m2m studio.
my platform is ubuntu 10.04 + eclipse 3.61

What I guess is that you’re installing Developer Studio over a preexisting 3.6.1 eclispe install, correct?
If so, please note that current official release (1.1.2) is not compatible with Eclipse 3.6
But 1.2.0 beta versions are.
Please download and use this archived update site to give a try.

Is it possible to store the firmware version (etc) (Project properties/Open AT Application/SDK Profile etc) for a particular build configuration?
It would be nice to be able to just switch build configuration for different firmware versions when I switch building the same app for Fastrack Supreme or Xtend.

We already have this in mind, but it is not planned for 1.2.0
Meanwhile, you could think about dealing with two projects, pointing to the same source files thanks to linked folders…

Thanks daav, I’ll give that a try.

ok, i will try it, thank you.

when installing Developer Studio 1.1.2 I get the following error:

Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
Software being installed: Developer Studio 1.1.2.201005261706-R4588 (com.wavecom.openat.ide.feature.group 1.1.2.201005261706-R4588)
Missing requirement for filter properties ~= $0: LuaEclipse_feature 1.0.0.201003311322 (com.anwrt.luaeclipse.feature.group 1.0.0.201003311322) requires ‘org.keplerproject.luaeclipse.lua.linux64 [1.0.0.201003311322]’ but it could not be found
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: Developer Studio 1.1.2.201005261706-R4588 (com.wavecom.openat.ide.feature.group 1.1.2.201005261706-R4588)
To: com.wavecom.openat.ide.lua.feature.group [1.1.2.201005261654-R4588]
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: Open AT Lua Support Extension 1.1.2.201005261654-R4588 (com.wavecom.openat.ide.lua.feature.group 1.1.2.201005261654-R4588)
To: com.anwrt.luaeclipse.feature.group [1.0.0.201003311322]