Debugging code

All,

Like so many others I`m a beginner when it comes to Open AT.
Where can I find info about how to properly write and debug code, ie. such things as, if there is a way to:
1- stepping through my code, step by step, in a simutated environment or in real time ?
2- Can one set break point like in other C applications ?
3- What manuals are out there ? (dumb Q maybe) I can gather a few:
a- GSM module manual
b- ADL_User Guide
c- Basic dev. guide
d- Latest AT command: X55 command (Dec2005) anything newer ?

What more… :slight_smile: :smiley:
Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben,

You can refer to Open AT Tutorial (provided along with the SDK in pdf format) to know how to create Open AT applications. You can also refer to the tools manual provided along with the SDK to find out how to use the tools provided along with the SDK.

Open AT allows you to write applications in Microsoft Visual Studio IDE. (I hope you are using Open AT 3.10 as you mentioned X55 version of firmware).

For debug mode of operation, you can use the normal procedure of putting break points in your C code (please refer to OAT tutorial and tools manual) to find about debug/target mode).

Hope you have a great time with Open AT.

Best Regards,
Open AT Fan.

AT_Fan,

Thanks for coming back,

• No I use the 3.12.05, these docs mentioned are contained under the \doc folder.
  • No I don`t have the MS Visual Studio, I simply use ECLIPSE, TMT and TE
  • I used the ECLIPSE/OA project creator so far to creat the recomended projects …

I would need some help with eclipse, can one debug from within it or do you have to run the TMT / TE to view the TRACES etc.

Thanks
Ben

Hi Ben,

1. The docs should be in the folder
    C:\OpenAT\IDE\IDE<IDE version>\doc where is the version of the IDE being used.
  2. You can use eclipse to debug your application. However, the traces and the responses would still be seen in the TMT and TE respectively.
  3. If you select the eclipse IDE from the project wizard, then your project (let’s say Hello_World) will be loaded in the eclipse. Then you can use the standard build commands from within the eclipse IDE. However, if you are running the project in debug mode, you need to have the TMT and TE running so that you can see the traces and the responses that are generated.
    In target mode, the application is actually present in the Wireless CPU. So, you don’t need to have the eclipse IDE running at that time. However, to see the traces, you need to have the TMT and TE running.

Please go though the tools manual to find out more about the TMT and TE tools.

Best Regards,
Open AT Fan.

AT_Fan,

OK here comes some dumb ones :laughing:
I have read through the manuals and tried some copliations,
I have created Target and RTE,

I load the target into the WISMO and it runs Hello World etc. I see it in the TMT, and TE
What is the purpose of the RTE ? And the Kernel.exe that is created ?

Thanks
Ben

RTE is the Remote execution version - where your application actually runs on the PC.
This is described in the Manuals.

As I understand it, that is what actually runs on the PC - your application is built as a DLL, and this Kernel.exe makes calls into that DLL.

If you think about it, that’s pretty similar to what happens on the real target - the Wavecom Core (you could call it a “kernel”) makes calls to your functions…