Data gathering app using GL6100

Hi. This is my first post on forum. I could not find out where to post general questions, so here we go…

My application has to gather data from an old custom industrial device (70´s build), with an old custom protocol that runs on a serial connection - and them send that data to my server using a wireless GSM network.

This old protocol basically supports queueing the device for new data (where in turn it returns either NODATA or a DATA STREAM) and issuing commands (RESET, PARAMETER SETTING, ETC). I have the protocol and developed already a wired version of it. My development environment is C++ (Visual Studio 2008 at that time).

My hardware pick was a Sierra GL6100. Cheap, small, programmable and flexible, ordered in Amazon for testing. I got the box, powered on and starting using AT commands pretty fine.

Later I´ve installed Developer Studio on my Windows 7 PC and started finding out how to build my first C++ program that would read from serial and send using TCP/IP Socket through GSM.

So, at that point I got stucked and with doubts about my application. Here are my questions:

a) After installing Dev Studio I cound not find my GL6100 device either as a target or at the AutoDetect (even connecting to it using Hyperterm). Is it possible to use Dev Studio to program for GL6100 ? If so, how to do it ?

b) I could not find a C++ example to do it. All I could see were AT command to use the serial port as a commander to the unit. Remember that I need to use the serial port as a communication port to my device. Is that really possible to do ?

c) My C++ will have to handle at least serial reads/writes, some data persistance (for data saving and later transmission) and socket commands (open, close, read, write). Am I going to be able to perform that using this unit ?

So, if all of my questions are feasable, how to start from and how to make it work in that way ? Examples ? Manuals ?

If not, probably I did a wrong choice back there… In that case would Sierrra have a hardware that would allow me to do what I need ?

Thanks in advance for help and responses.

Welcome.

With any forums, it doesn’t help to repeat the same post all over the place - it leads to confusion, fragmentation & duplication…

If you do cross-post, always make it clear and give links between the threads - and be sure to keep them all updated.

Is there another kind…? :wink:

sierrawireless.com/productsa … eries.aspx

Yep - should be fine.

Not such a good idea.

Amazon may be cheap, but one reason for that is that you’ll get no support there!

I would strongly recommend that you seek to build a relationship with a local technical distributor.

Although C++ is, of course, possible it is rather a minority interest. You might find it easier to start with plain ‘C’.

To be precise, GPRS (an “overlay” on GSM for packet data)

Now that’s one that might be better asked in the Development tools forum - as it’s a specific tooling question.

viewforum.php?f=108

The GL61x0 are based on the WMP100, which is now “not recommended for new designs” - so I guess that’s why it doesn’t appear in the latest DevStudio?

This seems like a bit of an oversight on the part of SiWi, since there are still plenty of products using it - such as the GL6100 :exclamation:

Look at the FCM (“Flow Control Manager”) examples…

Note that “Flow Control” here has nothing to do with “flow control” in the usual serial comms sense (XON/XOFF; RTS/CTS) - it is just SiWi’s name (inherited from Wavecom) for a “data stream” or “data source/sink”

Yes:

• FCM for serial data;
  • Flash or A&D for persistence;
  • WIP for sockets

Again, that’s where a technical distributor could really help you - by discussing your application in detail, and going through the options available.

You need the ADL User Guide - it’s usually buried as a PDF somewhere deep in the Dev Studio installation’s folder tree: Go to the top of the tree, and use the windows explorer search to find all the PDFs…

developer.sierrawireless.com/Get%20Started.aspx

developer.sierrawireless.com/Res … %20AT.aspx

Thanks for the explanation and education.

I can imagine you mention that GL6100 is “not recommended for new designs” as maybe it´s too old or/and SiWi has a better/more updated device…

In any case, what would be the recommended hardware for a new design with my characteristics, around the same price range…

Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation and education.

I can imagine you mention that GL6100 is “not recommended for new designs” as maybe it´s too old or/and SiWi has a better/more updated device…

In any case, what would be the recommended hardware for a new design with my characteristics, around the same price range…

Thanks.

No, I didn’t say that - look again!