Compatibility of the GobiSerial/GobiNetwork driver with modem-manager/libqmi?

Are there any compatibility issues in GobiSerial/GobiNetwork driver with modem-manager/libqmi?

Yes, you should not use modem-manager.
You can see this document (Section 3.3.1. Host Setup):

https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/linux-qmi-sdk-application-developer-guide-1,-d-,23/#sthash.abkHLSHb.dpbs

The sierra SDK is provided in the binary form. I can only see the headers and sample code.

Do you provide the SDK source code to customers?

@akn

If you want the source then you need to contact your technical support through your commercial channel and discuss with them, you will need to give a good reason and sign an SLA but it is not openly available.

Regards

Matt

You need to conact distributor if you want sdk source code

Yes, you should not use modem-manager.
You can see this document (Section 3.3.1. Host Setup):

Sorry for getting in the middle, but the “you should not use modem-manager” is a bit misleading and not truly honest IMO. I would instead say:

• If GobiNet/GobiSerial are required in your setup, you cannot use ModemManager/libqmi as they’re not compatible. In that case you should use the Sierra SDK. This also applies e.g. if you need any feature not available in MM/libqmi/libmbim and is instead available in the Sierra SDK, in this case, obviously, you should use GobiNet/GobiSerial. Also, if you require direct Sierra support, you should use GobiNet/GobiSerial.
  • If GobiNet/GobiSerial are not required in your setup and your feature needs are not very special, you can use the default qmi_wwan/cdc_mbim/option/qcserial drivers that you already have in your Linux system, and in that case you can also use the ModemManager/libqmi/libmbim that you have in your normal Linux distribution.

I understand that the Sierra team should always push to suggest the Sierra SDK, but really, requiring the user to self-compile GobiNet/GobiSerial for the specific kernel they may be using, and requiring them to integrate whatever needs they have with the SDK, that is really not usable for tons of the Sierra module users out there. Some may just require connectivity with the module and they’re not developers that can build kernel modules or apps to integrate with the SDK. Even with the steps explained in the SDK documentation. In that case, which believe me is likely the most common one, asking the users to try ModemManager with e.g. NetworkManager or just plain mmcli commands after the module is detected by the default Linux drivers is a much better user-friendly approach.

I’m obviously biased :wink:

1 Like