WP7607 Android 9 RIL SETUP_DATA_CALL fails (QMI, USB OTG)

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to integrate android 9 ril software into my Android 9. The kernel I’m using is 4.14.98.
On my android device the mangOH Red board (with the WP7607) is connected via USB OTG.
The SIM works fine on other devices, also the mangOH board works fine on a windows 10 PC.

I did all the needed changes described in the Android RIL Integration Guide. Now i can receive and send SMS, but i can’t establish a data connection.
The mobile network state is always “disconnected”, while the service status is “In service”.

Wifi is disabled, “Mobile data always active” is enabled. SELinux is running in permissive mode.

There are multiple errors in the radio log, it seems like the “SETUP_DATA_CALL” of the rild fails.
I can’t determine the actual error, maybe someone can find more…

radio-log part1
radio-log part2
getprop with the most important propterties
logcat while setup_data_call

Unanswered questions:

1. I first tried it with the AT ril, but it seems like the QMI ril is working better.
    Is that true? Which one should be better in Android 9?
  2. In Android 6 we used pppd. Now in Android 9 there only is dhcpcd to setup the interface. Is pppd still needed? Was it replaced by dhcpcd?
  3. Might it help to update the firmware? Will the android ril work with newer firmware?
    Currently installed: SWI9X07Y_02.16.02.00
    Available on Sierra Website: SWI9X07Y_02.28.03.03

Thanks in advance!

Hi sMichi,

You should use QMI for WP7607 Android 9

The PPPD still needed for Android 9. The pppd is found at Android source code.

Yes, you should update it to the latest firmware

Sierra is also aware of data call issue on Android 9. Please contact your reseller or distributor directly for technical support.

1 Like

Hi Donald,

thanks for your answers. Where can I find more information about how to setup the pppd? In the android integration guide, ppp is not even mentioned…

Hi sMichi,

I have the information PPPD on Android 9 at here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/android-platform/Xs-AeHA4KVw
I also did not find the information about how to setup the PPPD in Android 9 RIL integrated guide.

If you need more information, please contact your reseller or distributor directly for technical support.

Hi sMichi,
Are you able to integrate the wp7607 ? Can you please share the procedure on how to integrate wp7607 in android? What are the files required to add support of wp7607 modem?
Thanks in advance

Hi, you can find all needed resources here: https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/#tags=WP7607
The integration guide describes the procedure and the needed files are in the Android 9.0 RIL Software 9.0.10.0 package.

Here you can check which RIL you need to use: https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/release_notes/android-ril-latest-release-note/
If you are using the WP7607, then the QMI RIL with the corresponding usb driver should work, this is all described in the Guide.

Notes:
They added the HAL additions which were missing in the earlier version of the integration guide, but I still think that the Linux SE rules are not working (which didn’t matter in my case)

Hi sMichi,

Thanks for the response. I have gone through the link and I found it is requesting a password to open the document. Can you tell me the password to open the documents ?

You need an account to download the files, but if you can write here in the forum, you should already have an account. Please contact SierraWireless Support if you can’t login.
The files itself souldn’t be protected by a password.

Hi Donald,
I find in one the document we can integrate wp7607 module on android 10. Recently i got a reply from one of the community member that android RIL is not supported for wp7607 module but here @sMichi is able to integrate wp7607 module. May i know the correct information about integration of wp7607 module on android.
[WP7607 integration in Android11](Hi Donald, I find in one the document we can integrate wp7607 module on android 10. Recently i got a reply from one of the community member that android RIL is not supported for wp7607 module but here @sMichi is able to integrate wp7607 module. May i know the correct information about integration of wp7607 module on android. WP7607 integration in Android11)

Please let me know

Thanks & Regards
Shamiullah

Hi shamiullah.m,

According to Android 10.0 RIL Release Note and Android RIL Integration Guide rev 2.0: The Android RIL supports the WP7607 module.

[WP7607 integration in Android11]. Android RIL system driver is not mentioned in WP7607 Technical Specifications.
It’s a document mismatch. Sierra is aware of the document issue. It will be updated in the near future.

You can try integrating the WP7607 module on Android RIL.

Hi Donald

Thank you for your valuable reply. can i assume that the previous reply i got in other post is wrong information?. Where can i get the document and RIL layer for wp7607 on android 11. I can able to find only for android 10 only. Please let me know

Thanks & Regards
Shamiullah

Hi shamiullah.m,

Sierra is reviewing the documentation. I’ll let you know when I have any updates from the development team. The latest Android RIL version is Android RIL10.0.7.0.
Android RIL11 has not been released yet.

Hi Donald,

I am working on WP7606 with android 11 and looking for the ril related information for the same. Any update on Android 11 RIL for WP7607.

Thanks & Regards
Ganesh.K

Hi Donald,

Is there any update on the Android 11 Ril for WP7607 integration.

Thanks & Regards
Ganesh.K