UE Attach with no data services

Hi,

we had an UE Attach with our test network using wp708 sierrawireless modem.
Modem is connected to the windows laptop and it has the following ip address after succesful UE Attach

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 7.7.7.11
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.248
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 7.7.7.12

7.7.7.11 is the network assigned ip address.

After succesful UE Attach,
root@swi-mdm9x28:~# cm data connect
Setting up profile 1
Setting access point name … ok
Setting packet data protocol … ok
Setting Authentication … ok
Connecting … failed
Fri Aug 24 10:54:13 UTC 2018 - Connection Failure: LE_FAULT

at!scact?
!SCACT: 1,0

root@swi-mdm9x28:~# cm radio
Power: ON
Current Network Operator: Test PLMN 1-1
Current RAT: LTE network (LE_MRC_RAT_LTE)
Signal: Very strong signal strength (5)
PS: Packet Switched Registered, home network (LE_MRC_REG_HOME)

I have assigned the apn correctly.

I am able to ping 7.7.7.11 from my data server. However 7.7.7.12 is not reachable.

How can I assign , at+scact = 1,1 .

Thanks,
siva

Siva,

Are you trying to use the WP as a modem to provide data connectivity to your host PC or are you trying to connect the data session from the Legato environment to provide data connectivity to Legato applications?

Regards,

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

We are trying to use WP as a modem to provide data connectivity to my host PC.

Thanks,
Siva

Siva,

Can you provide some description of your system? Which interface are you trying to use on the modem to provide data connection to your PC, the USB connection?

If you use the USB connection and AT commands you should not be using the cm command from the Legato environment. Just connect the PC to the MangoH board via USB, connect to the data port, setup the APN using at+cdgcont and connect the data session using at!scact.

Regards,

Olivier

Hi Olivier,

Following is the test setup,
we had connected the CF3 USB port of the WP to my windows PC.
Once WP powered up, we ssh to the module via 192.168.2.2
On the module, we open the AT console by the command microcom /dev/ttyAT
Now we issue the AT Commands eg: at+ cgdcont = 1,“IP”,“internet”
But still, the response of at!scact is not 1,1

i am not sure what is the data port that it refers in your message. Hope we had connected the setup correctly.

Thanks,
Siva

Siva,

I suppose you have installed the Windows driver for the WP. When you connect the WP via USB you should get a Modem device created. Using Device Manager finds the UART port for this Modem device and open it with TerraTerm, Putty or any other terminal application and send the commands from their instead.

In your first message you stated that you were getting an IP address, what did you mean? You should not get an IP address if the data call is not connected.

Regards,

Olivier

Yes, the windows driver is installed. I had used the same tools and setup in other instance with no success.
Yes, in my first message the ipaddress 7.7.7.11 is reachable when I ping from the data server. But the gateway 7.7.7.12 is not reachable and in that scenario, the at!scact? doesn’t return 1,1

and also when I run the iperf command from the windows laptop, There are no data packets recieving at the server side. I am 100 percent sure that the iperf commands are correct.

Can you please let me know the response of at!scact is correct in this scenario ? If yes why the modem is not returning the 1,1 response.

Why the gateway 7.7.7.12 is not reachable from the data server ? Is that routing should added on the modem ?

Thanks,
Siva

1 Like

I understand the APN name for your test setup is “internet”. Is that correct? Please try to set the APN with the following command:
at+cgdcont=1,“IPV4V6”,“internet”

What do you mean by IP address 7.7.7.11 is reachable? Reachable from where? If at+scact=1,1 returns error you should not be able to reach any address over the modem ethernet interface.

Regards,

Olivier

@stirulaka,

From what I know about your system (through other discussions external to this thread) you are operating on a private LTE network local to your lab, is that correct? Can you further define your use case as it is not clear, you must be trying to perform testing using one of the following scenario’s.

1. Using a Linux host connecting using USB to the WP7 and trying to create a dedicated bearer connection (after the default bearer has been created by the LTE attach), then subsequently having IP connectivity to some server on your network, presumably this is 7.7.7.12?
  2. Using a Windows host connecting using USB to the WP7 and trying to create a dedicated bearer connection (after the default bearer has been created by the LTE attach), then subsequently having IP connectivity to some server on your network, presumably this is 7.7.7.12?
  3. Starting a Legato connection and using this as your IP connection.

Which of the above are you trying to do? The following should be solutions respectively.

1. This file shows you how to build and install drivers into your Linux system and subsequently start a data connection 1aec569af75a1ab07c66bf85086071fc482f614b.docx (347.1 KB)
  2. You can use the skylight software to control the network connection but I do not believe you want to use windows in your end solution?
  3. I have posted an example of how to do this here.

Regards

Matt

1 Like

Hi Matt,

Yes we are operating on a private LTE network. thats correct.
For now we are verifying the modem on the windows setup and then we take up to verify on linux . Does this test setup makes any difference in the performance ?

I will try with the skylight software on windows .

@stirulaka,

No it does not impact performance but you might complicate things if Windows puts it into MBIM mode. I would just stick with Linux for now if that your end system…

Regards

Matt