RC7611 - when will PCM audio get FW update?

The PCM audio does not work in FW. Therefore no voice calls over VoLTE. Does anyone at Sierrawireless have any update on when this Release 7 FW will arrive? See end of this thread.

Hi @sales

This feature is in development. Maybe, they will be released soon in next FW released.
You can follow the page https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/rc76xx/rc76xx-firmware-release-6,-d-,2/#sthash.Jai5kAjc.KflaN6fP.dpbs, new releases will be updated here.

Thanks.

@sales

So generically speaking voice does work, be it VoLTE or voice over CS and the only interface is PCM which again works. Its not terribly configurable at the moment which R8 is going to fix (we are skipping R7) which is due in the next few weeks.

R9 is the big update though which is specifically aimed at RC7611 with operator approval updates (which R8 won’t have), this is due in July with the approvals completing as and when we manage to get through the testing.

Regards

Matt

That is great news about the updates. Presently I configure the PCM audio interface with !AVCFG set to PCM and also tried I2S mode. I configure for audio master mode, interface 0. I have set !AVSETPROFILE to interface 0. I do not know any other command that would enable the audio. I can call a number and the response is “CONNECT.” At that point I assume the audio interface should be active. But all digital audio out lines PCM_OUT, PCM_SYNC, PCM_CLK remain high impedance. I can use a 10k resistor to change the state of the pins which would not happen if they were outputs. The RC7611 has does not have CS capability. The !GSTATUS command says I have full VOLTE operation and that is what I want to use. What else do I need to do to get audio?

Thanks

@sales

So I did the below test and the call went straight through, I have not done it with the R6.2 (00.03.03) firmware but would expect it to be the same. I used a mangOH red and the audio came through the jack no problems it was a little loud so needed tweaking).

RC76 VoLTE call EE - R8 firmware.txt (1.7 KB)

Regards

Matt

Your AT text commands are what I have been using. I attached my file.
RC76 VoLTE call fail.txt (1.9 KB)
I still do not get any audio PCM signals with this version 6.2, Generic type. BTW I have an HL7648 and the audio works great with the expected PCM signals from that module using the same hardware setup I am using for the RC7611. I have changed to the RC7611 because it seems the HL7648 is obsolete or becoming so. I will wait for the firmware update. Your testing verified that I will get this module working. Thanks.

Hi @sales,
Was your problem solved? We had the same problem.

No. Still waiting for the R9 release for the RC7611 which was supposed to arrive last month according to Donald above. R6.4 was just released but I tested it and nothing was fixed relevant to this issue.

Hi @sales,

Thank you for your information. I am also looking forward to getting the new version. May I ask do you have problem with AT command via UART, HTTPS, and audio RX gain?
Bests,

No problem using the UART for AT commands.
I haven’t tried HTTPS.

Audio commands:
AT!AVRXB? and AT!AVTXG? both return ERROR.
“AT!AVCFG=1,0,0,0,0,0,0,5” returns “OK”
AT!AVCFG? returns “AVCFG: 1,0,0,0,0,0,0” without the last parameter for that PCM channel

Dialing a number for example ATD18004444444; it returns “OK”. I waited several seconds and nothing else. I send “ATH” then it returns “CONNECT”. Sending “ATH” again it returns “OK”. There are no signals output on the PCM data lines during this.

After the phone call attempts I received an SMS advertisement from the phone company asking if I want to upgrade to a better phone.

Audio commands:
AT!AVRXB? and AT!AVTXG? both return ERROR.
“AT!AVCFG=1,0,0,0,0,0,0,5” returns “OK”
AT!AVCFG? returns “AVCFG: 1,0,0,0,0,0,0” without the last parameter for that PCM channel

Dialing a number for example ATD18004444444; it returns “OK”. I waited several seconds and nothing else.
=> This is exactly what I got. No CONNECT response.

After the phone call attempts I received an SMS advertisement from the phone company asking if I want to upgrade to a better phone.
:sweat_smile:

See the reply by mlw above May 4. The not yet released FW upgrade is for this.

Do you know when this release is planned?

1 Like

@PAT

Towards the end of the year assuming everything comes together, the US operator testing can be painful.

Regards

Matt

Has there been any recent news on this FW update? I want to put this product development back on the front burner and am considering changing vendor for the module.

@sales

So without boring you with the details, R9 has not been released yet, current date (assuming we find fixes to some regressions quickly) would be end March/beginning April.

Regards

Matt

I’m checking about the R9 release downloads. The link to the AT&T firmware links to the firmware identified as US Cellular firmware. Does that mean use the US Cellular firmware for AT&T? I checked and it seems they are the same network.

EDIT: yes it seems to work with AT&T. Audio PCM signals are now present on the pins when I connect to a number.

@sales

Good spot, sorry about that I will ping the product manager and make sure it is changed, probably finger trouble on our side as we do have an AT&T build. Hopefully it will be fixed by early next week, if you specifically need an AT&T release then ping me and I will get it to you by some other means.

Regards

Matt