Problem With ramdump tool MC7455 Modem

I’m having issue with the ramdump tool. Following QMI developer’s guide, I have executed the following commands prior to execution:

tools perform port 1/1/1 cellular at-command at!entercnd=“A710”
tools perform port 1/1/1 cellular at-command at!eroption=0

And running the ramdump command gives the following errors:

root@sarhm:/var/log# /opt/sierra/ramdumptool_arm64 -d 9x30 -c /dev/ttyUSB0

RAMDUMPTOOL version undefined

Initiating RAM Dump capture…
Port open Success : /dev/ttyUSB0

No hello received for 10 seconds. Aborting
Protocol Error: 9
Exit Application!

Anybody has any idea what the problem might be? Does the device has to be held in some kind of reset state in order for the ramdump to work?

Hi,

So the RAMDUMP tool used used, as the name suggests to collect a ram dump when the unit crashes. By setting the eroption=0 what you are telling the unit is that when it does experience a crash, rather than rebooting, which is default behaviour, it should reboot into boot and hold mode which will just enumerate the single DM port /dev/ttyUSB0. It will then wait until the ramdump tool is run to collect all of the information from it for later analysis, after that the unit can be rebooted and it will power up as normal.

Running the tool against the unit (DM port /dev/ttyUSB0) while it is operational will have no effect as it is just outputting debug information.

Regards

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info. I’ve got an actual modem crash now, and I see that the device is staying in boot hold mode, with only ttyUSB0 present, but the ramdump tool is still not working. Any idea why?

root:/var/log# ls /dev/ttyUSB*
/dev/ttyUSB0
root:/var/log# /opt/sierra/ramdumptool_arm64 -d 9x30 -c /dev/ttyUSB0

RAMDUMPTOOL version undefined

Creating output directory: MemDumpOut
Initiating RAM Dump capture…
Port open Success : /dev/ttyUSB0
Querying device parameters…
Querying device parameters…

No communication received for 30 seconds. Aborting
Modem not responding, please try again
Exit Application!

Thanks,

Alexandra

Alexandra,

Couple of things to try.

• Make the file for your platform, I have had it in the past where the pre build tools were not exactly right and rebuilding it worked.
  • Use the -o switch to specify the location and file you want to log to go to, technically it has does a default as per the readme but as I say something to try.

Regards

Matt