MC7700 unable to send SMS

I am using this in a IOT device which is running Arch ARM Linux, I am attempting to send an SMS but currently getting an error right away, I spoke with the carrier and they sent me a new sim and said they “tested it” but still getting the error, was wondering if there was anything else that I could try or some command that I am unaware of?

mmcli -m 1 --messaging-create-sms=“text=‘test’,number=‘+1XXXXXXXX’”
Successfully created new SMS: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/16

mmcli -m 1 --messaging-list-sms
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/16 (unknown)

mmcli -s 16 --send
successfully sent the SMS

mmcli -m 1 --messaging-list-sms
/org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/17 (received)

mmcli -s 17

General | path: /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/17

Content | number: +1XXXXXXXX
| text: Free Msg: Unable to send message - Message Blocking is active.

Properties | pdu type: deliver
| state: received
| storage: mt
| smsc: +1XXXXXXXX
| timestamp: 2023-02-25T14:48:52-08

Have you tried to send with AT command ?

AT+CMGF=1
AT!GSTATUS?
AT+CMGS="1234567"
> test
<Ctrl+z>

Using what to send AT commands? It would need to be scripting compatible.

you can use tera term to open the AT command port to send the commands

Tera Term is gui based, this IOT device is strictly using command line, its akin to the server version of Arch or Lite Arch linux.

I have attempted to use minicom but this modem is not seen like a normal modem so I cannot query it like a modem.

you can use “cat” and “echo”
e.g.

cat /dev/ttyUSB2 &
sudo echo -ne "AT+CMGF=1\\xd\\xa" > /dev/ttyUSB2

Hi, can you provide exactly what is needed to send these commands in the way you are proposing?

From my limited research it looks like the MC7700 is being assigned
/dev/cdc-wdm0

I am not at all familiar with the echo lines so I am failing at getting anything from it using the commands you have provided

AT command port should be using /dev/ttyUSBx port
have you installed USB driver?
https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airprime/software/usb-drivers-linux-qmi-software-s2,-d-,42n2,-d-,64/#sthash.hUtcA0Yn.dpbs

This driver looks like its made for x86 Ubuntu as it fails for Arch ARM

I am not sure that this makes any difference but making mention of this regardless:
I am able to receive sms messages as I have a bunch of spam SMS’s
I am only getting a IPv4 IP even though I have specified ipv4v6

more /var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/make.log
DKMS make.log for SierraLinuxQMIdrivers-S2.42N2.64 for kernel 5.15.68-3-rpi-ARCH (armv7l)
Sun Feb 26 20:25:02 MSK 2023
make: Entering directory '/var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/GobiSerial'
rm -rf *.o *~ core .depend .*.cmd *.ko *.mod.c .tmp_versions Module.* modules.order .cache.mk *.o.ur-safe
make -C /lib/modules/5.15.68-3-rpi-ARCH/build M=/var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/GobiSerial modules
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.15.68-3-rpi-ARCH/build'
  CC [M]  /var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/GobiSerial/GobiSerial.o
/var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/GobiSerial/GobiSerial.c:242:2: warning: #warning "Assuming disc_mutex is locked external to the module" [-Wcpp]
  242 | #warning "Assuming disc_mutex is locked external to the module"
      |  ^~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/GobiSerial/GobiSerial.c:773:27: error: initialization of 'void (*)(struct usb_serial_port *)' from incompatible pointer type 'int (*)(struct usb_serial_port *)' [-Werror=incompatible-pointer-types]
  773 |    .port_remove         = Gobi_portremove,
      |                           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/GobiSerial/GobiSerial.c:773:27: note: (near initialization for 'gGobiDevice.port_remove')
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:289: /var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/GobiSerial/GobiSerial.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1898: /var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/GobiSerial] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.15.68-3-rpi-ARCH/build'
make: *** [Makefile:25: all] Error 2
make: Leaving directory '/var/lib/dkms/SierraLinuxQMIdrivers/S2.42N2.64/build/GobiSerial'

you can see here to use another driver

While this driver does seem to compile, the result are not something that’s documented in the readme that’s included.

So it doesn’t look like it makes a usb port that I can interact with.

lsusb -t
/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 5000M
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/1p, 480M
|__ Port 1: Dev 2, If 0, Class=Hub, Driver=hub/4p, 480M
|__ Port 3: Dev 3, If 12, Class=Communications, Driver=cdc_mbim, 480M
|__ Port 3: Dev 3, If 13, Class=CDC Data, Driver=cdc_mbim, 480M
|__ Port 4: Dev 4, If 0, Class=Mass Storage, Driver=usb-storage, 480M

can you connect the module to Windows platform?

You can also see here which module is in MBIM only

No, I do not have a spot where I can plug this into on a windows system.

You can also see here where module is in MBIM only

It seems Arch Arm linux lacks the correct perl modules to be able to run this script from the page you made mention of.

One thing i don’t understand is that if you don’t have modem port or AT port, how come mmcli is working on your platform?

I dont know, im assuming this is directly dealing with the modem, I was told that qmicli might be a better use but I am unable to find any commands that are about the same as what I am using for mmcli

here says mmcli (modem manager) already uses qmi interface:

probably that is why you can use mmcli to communicate even without AT command port

This rolls back to, are the commands I am using causing the original msg that is disallowing me to send text msgs? I cannot tell if this is coming from the cell company or if its some command that I need to issue to unblock them.