MC 8092 sending SMS

Hi,

Im desperately trying to send sms with smstools from my MC8092 from a linux server. Here is where i’ve been so far :

I’ve been following several internet guides and I simply don’t understand why in most of them i can’t even execute basic AT commands. Such as AT+CMGS which gives me back OK instead of permitting me to write my message.

Thanks in advance,
Etienne

Hi,

Can you use minicom (or other terminal program in either Windows or Linux) to send the below commands manually to the unit?

at+cmee=1
at+cmgf=0
at+cmgs=25 //Make sure this returns the > to start sending the hex characters

I presume you are sending character 26 at the end of the PDU to trigger the sending of the message?

Regards

Matt

Hello,

Thanks for your reply !
The problem we seem to meet is that “AT+CMGS” does not return any “>”, anytime…

Even if i try AT+CMGF=1 and AT+CMGS=phone_number, my AT+CMGS won’t return any > character.

Frustrating…

Etienne,

I have done this on a unit and it seems to work on the USB interface (as per the attached) so I have no reason to suspect it does not work generally.

Can you send the below?
ati
at+cgmr

If the ATI response comes back with APPx (if you are doing this on the UART then APP3 is the default) then it means that it is the end point which is intended to be used for a data connection rather than anything else i.e. check network connection, sending SMS, etc. You will need to use the at!mapuart command on the USB port to re map it to the full AT command parser as these units only have one.

Note if the full AT parser is on the USB port and you remap it to the UART the USB will have the end point enumerate but will not respond to AT commands, you would need to use the UART to switch it back.

Regards

Matt

With attachment this time.
SMS USB interface.txt (181 Bytes)

Hello,
Thank for your reply, here is my return for these commands :

Not sure what I should do now, i found https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2013-February/msg00172.html. Should I try another USB interface ? (I have four ttyUSB1->4)

Is there a physical action to realize ? Like changing port on the card, i am at the moment on the first, dissociated one.

Thanks,

Etienne,

I presume that this is in the UART or USB? Assuming it is on the UART you need to get access to the USB AT command port which does not respond to the ATI command with an APPx and send the following command to it

at!entercnd=“A710”
at!mapuart=1
at!reset

After this the full AT parser will be assigned to the UART and not the USB.

Regards

Matt

I found out that ttyUSB3 was responding something else to the ATI command (it was the only one actually) and sent him the commands you gave me.
It deleted ttyUSB4 (which I was using so far) and created a ttyUSB5 with exactly the same behaviour and ttyUSB3 not responding anymore to AT commands.

So i rebooted, hoping to reset the card, and now I found my ttyUSB4 again with exactly the same behaviour as before (no sms, etc), and ttyUSB3 still not really responding.
Now i can reset and execute all 3 commands you gave me before on ttyUSB4, but nothing more.

What could I do now ?

What is your end game? What interface do you want to use? Are you doing anything with UART or only USB end points? I have asked if you are using UART several time before and you have not told me so I have had to make assumptions.

Regards

Matt

I want to send a sms through any interface which could do it and as so far I worked on 3G connection with the interface ttyUSB4, I tried sending my messages through this mountpoint (/dev/ttyUSB4).

I’d say ttyUSB0/1/2/3/4 are USB interfaces. My vision is that they are be emulated by UART interface (ttyUSB0->4 emulated by COM connected card)

Etienne,

On hte units each USB end point is associated with specific functionality, there is no way to know what this functionality is without connecting to it and asking. There is no way to produce a hard guide since the way they enumerate varies depends on user set options with in the unit. TYPICALLY SL8 and old directIP units will enumerate as follows.
/dev/ttyUSB0 - HIP/CnS
/dev/ttyUSB1 - Diagnostic Monitoring port
/dev/ttyUSB2 - NMEA data
/dev/ttyUSB3 - AT command
/dev/ttyUSB4 - Modem port (limited AT command capability)

If you disable the NMEA then 3 and 4 would become 2 and 3 respectively when it next re enumerated.

It may well me that you have switched the AT parser to the UART. I would suggest you connect to each of the /dev/ttyUSB ports in turn with minicom and see what the response to ATI is, if one of them comes back with a load of unit information (i.e. firmware version) rather than APPx then this will be the interface you need to use for the SMS. If none of the interfaces come back with a load of unit information then I suspect you have switch the AT parser to the UART and you wll need to connect to this and send at!mapuart=7 to it to remap the AT parser back to USB, then reset the unit and go through each of the interfaces as I have just said.

Hopefully that should sort you out.

Regards

Matt

Thnks for this response and your help, it’s much more clear now !

One last question though, how can I connect to the UART to set it back to USB mountpoint on ttyUSB3 ?

Connecting to a UART is a problem if this is in your hardware as opposed to a dev kit (is it your hardware)? Not sure how you get around this, I have had customer do this in the past, its why I was specifically asking about interfaces early on but had to try to answer you without this information hence my comments about assuming certain configs as sending commands blind to the unit can result in configs you cannot get out of if you set hardware interfaces up. There might be some tools around to reset this config just through the USB if you go back through your disti.

Regards

Matt

Hello Matt,

Thanks for your help, I used another modem (same model) to try and send a SMS. Here is what I do (ttyUSB3) :

Do you have any idea why I get those errors for CMGF/CMGS ?

Etienne,

Can you send the following to the unit?

at+cmee=1
ati
at+cpin?
at+creg?
at+cmgf=0

Regards

Matt

Hello Matt,

I identified my problem as a bas connection between SIM and Modem, so i changed my Modem to another Server and tried again, here is my result :

This card has worked on another modem just yesterday.

Thanks,

Etienne,

The CREG response shows that the unit is not attached to a network so you are not going to be able to send any SMS’s. Not sure why this is but you will need to sort this out first of all. I would try the following

at+cops=0   //Leave it for 20 seconds or so after receiving the OK back to give it a chance to attach
at+cops=?    //This will take a few minutes to complete to show you the networks it can see

Regards

Matt

Here is my reply, no connection… I don’t think it’s a CARRIER problem since it can see networks.

Etienne,

What is the SIM card i.e. Orange, SFR?

Regards

Matt

It should be SFR