MC7354 question

I have a MC7354 used on a windows 7 machine.

I am not able to send sms using Microsoft Broadband Networking.

Here is the outpout from Netsh clearly showing no support for SMS:

netsh mbn>show capability interface=“Mobile broadband”

Device capability information for interface Mobile broadband:

Device type                  : Mobile Broadband device is embedded in the system
Cellular class               : GSM
Voice class                  : No voice
Sim class                    : SIM is removable
Data class                   : GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE, HSPA+
GSM band class               : Unknown
[b]SMS capability               : None[/b]
Control capability           : Manual network selection is allowed
                               Hardware radio switch functionality available

Device Id                    : 359225051073757
Manufacturer                 : Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
Model                        : MC7354
Firmware Information         : SWI9X15C_05.05.16.02 9903211 05
Maximum activation contexts  : 1

What is really strange, is that I can send SMS using the AT command interface.

Does anybody have an idea why MBN reports no SMS capability ?

JM

Hi,
It’s working fine on 6.x FW branches… I have tested once :slight_smile:

-Alex

Thanks for your reply,

I may be missing something: I am not sure what are the 6.x FW branches you are referring to.
The current one is 5.5.58.0 and I did not find any hint of 6.x.

JM

Hi,
For MC7304 modules three firmware sets are available.
4.x.x.x: support both voice and data
5.x.x.x: Support only data
6.x.x.x: support both voice and data

You can contact your distributor/reseller to get more information regarding this :slight_smile:

-Alex

OK, well on that note then, i ran the same command on my Windows 10 machine (Also containing a MC7354)
and i get this output that claims there is no voice capability for the modem, even though i can make and receive voice calls…

C:\Windows\system32>netsh mbn show capability cellular

Device capability information for interface Cellular:
-------------------------------------------------------
    Device type                  : Mobile Broadband device is embedded in the system
    Cellular class               : GSM
    Voice class                  : No voice
    Sim class                    : SIM is removable
    Data class                   : GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, HSUPA, LTE, HSPA+
    GSM band class               : Unknown
    SMS capability               : PDU receive, PDU send
    Control capability           : Manual network selection is allowed
                                   Hardware radio switch functionality available
    Device Id                    : <PRIVATE>
    Manufacturer                 : Sierra Wireless, Incorporated
    Model                        : MC7354
    Firmware Information         : SWI9X15C_06.03.32.02 9903211 06
    Maximum activation contexts  : 1

Is this normal or should this be reading as Voice capable?

Hi Alex
I tried working through disty, they said no 6.x.x.x currently available for MC7354 or MC7304. What’s the story?

OK I found the 6.x.x.x firmware (for both MC7304 and MC7354) on a distributor’s site. Now I’m in the same place as KiernanV. The MC7304 seems to support the voice commands on 6.x.x.x, but the MC7354 does not. It would be really helpful to get some guidance on this from Sierra.

Confirmed, but to elaborate on thartnett’s comment, The distributor has two types of 6.x.x.x firmware.

The most current versions are:

06.03.32.04 - For the MC7304
06.02.11.00 - For the MC7354 (Just released by distributor in December 2015)

Now the released v.6 firmware for the MC7304, as thartnett pointed out, works perfectly fine.
Not so much with the released v.6 firmware for the MC7354. The voice AT commands don’t seem to exist in the firmware. Either that or someone at Sierra’s firmware development team screwed up royally when programming it in (especially when the v.6 firmware is being touted as voice and data capable)

Now the ironic thing is (SIGH) the same firmware version (06.02.11.00) for the MC7304, which was released publicly approximatly 6 months ago… HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM… (Leaving the question how this was missed when redeveloping the firmware for the MC7354)

end flack for sierra

For developers with this issue (Specifically for the MC7354 only) once you have upgraded to version 06.02.11.00, you can actually then upgrade again to the 06.03.32.04 afterwards (Yes the upgrade worked even though the firmware was advertised for the MC7304 only) which actually fixed the missing voice AT command problem and the module was able to place voice calls.

As far as i can tell, there seem to be no issues so far from cross-installing the firmware for modules so far. (If you do this, it is at your own risk. Depending how you have things set up, your results may vary)

I have one final question for sierra on that note, as the firmware’s seem to have no issue with cross installing to either module, what is the exact operational differences between the 06.02.11.00 and 06.03.32.04 firmware’s for the modules? (Aside from the higher version numbering of course)

1 Like

Thanks for that KiernanV. It seems to work. I wouldn’t have thought to try that.

Just to follow up, I’m unable to register an MC7354 on any American voice network with this trick. Using the 5.x firmware, it would register on a data sim on several networks. Using the “MC7304 targeted” 6.x results in non-registration on any voice sim and reduced network capability (3G) on a data sim.

As a sanity check, I can register my voice sim using an MC7304 with the 6.x firmware and make calls (at least on one network).

Still would love to get some guidance from Sierra on voice in general. For example
VoLTE in 6.x?
AMR-WB in 6.x?

There’s so little documentation it’s pretty frustrating.

I think this issue is probably due to carrier system policies.

I know that if i have a Telus Mobility SIM card with my MC7354, unless i have a service plan that contains minutes or voice call services, i get charged $1 per minute. The only way to avoid this is to manually change the APN to a different one with the same provider. This happens on the Bell network as well (Both are Canadian providers)

For example, with Telus, there are two different APN’s they use.

isp.telus.com - For Mobile data services only
sp.telus.com - For voice and data services.

The plan you have with them determines which APN you use. If you program the wrong one, your next bill amount will be astronomical. :-S

Hi everyone

I’m new in this issues, but i need to test voice with mc7354
and I can’t find the 6.x.x.x FW, I need the versions of Windows and Linux
pls, help me, Where I can find it?

Thx

Hello, Is there any way you can post the links to the required fw versions. i cannot seem to find it.

Dear @246hotwheels ,

Welcome to Sierra community
Which FW version are you want to receive? Is it 6.x.x.x FW version for MC7354? If yes, I tried to check on Sierra source webpage and AirVanatage server but it is not placed there.
In this case, please try to contact your distributor/reseller for further assistance

Thanks

I purchased on ebay, so dont think they are going to know. and yah the 6.x.x.x FW is what I’m looking for.

@jyijyi I see you have alot of activity in this community, can you provide any assistance? Im really wanting this more and more on my laptop! I have a good Verizon based carrier that is awesome, and my plan (once I can get this MC7354 working right) is to use my phone’s sim in the laptop when I need the direct cellular connection without ranking up hotspot data (Only cable company in my area is Spectrum and it is out on a daily occurrence and they cant seem to fix the issue, and I, according to them, am the only one having the issues and it is a countless occurrence daily and goes out for a minute or so, which is plenty to kick my game off if I’m gaming. the main issue is right now I am unable to receive calls or text or anything by using AT Command Tester, some java based application, with no luck on calls or SMS. If I’m using a phone sim that works and has my number (don’t wanna pay two plans) I want to be able to get any calls or texts if they come through, which they are not right now.

I received the card on ebay. if possible id like both firmwares mentioned in the post from @KiernanV appearing to fix all the AT commands and allow voice/sms support. I have attempted to get any information from the seller but their response is they are “just sales people” and do not provide IT help!