Installing applications without DeveloperStudio

Is there anyway to install ALEOS applications onto a device (GX400) without using the DeveloperStudio. I think it is possible with AirVantage but I would like to avoid having a subscription just to configure devices. Couldn’t find anywhere in ACEmanager.

Thanks,
Cyrus

Hi Cyrus,

Currently, you are right there are only two ways to install an application on ALEOS AF: the Developer Studio and the AirVantage solution.

We plan however to work on a new tool dedicated to application provisioning. It would really help us if you can describe what solution you are expected and how you intend to use such a solution.

Thanks,

Gaetan

Hi Gaetan,

Thanks for your reply. What I would expect in a dedicated tool would minimally it be able to install, uninstall, update, run, and stop ALEOS applications on the device by using the ethernet port or micro usb. This functionally is almost exactly like that of the Developer Studio but without the requirement the ALEOS source code to install the application. But what I would ultimately prefer is all of this functionality be built into the already existing ACEManager and ALSO have the ability to access all this added functionality by connecting remotely with the WAN IP of the device.

Ideally you could include an api to remotely access this on the all your devices by IP. So develops could integrate there own (AirVantage like) support tools into their existing support environments.

We intend to use this functionally to remotely deploy our ALEOS application without having to physically have the device on hand, and to remotely update our ALEOS applications on the devices. If the tool does not have the ability to remotely access the device we would want it to be simple and small enough for anyone to use it to install ALEOS applications onto the device without having Developer Studio installed and without having the source code of the application.

Do you have any ETA on the availability of this new tool?

Thanks,
Cyrus

Hi Cyrus,

Thanks a lot for your detailed feedbacks, it really helps.

We are at the very beginning of the creation process for this new product, so we have no ETA yet. But stay tune, we will keep interested parties informed.

Gaetan

Has there been any progress on this? It would be great if there was a simple tool to push applications to a modem. If this is still in the works is there any plan to be able to push to remote devices without using AVMS?

Well, that is good timing. There is something planned to be implemented for the next ALEOS release (4.3.6) to indeed support ‘local update’ for AAF apps. 4.3.6 is planned for May.

I’m curious if there has been any progress with this? I don’t see anything in the release notes or in the manual. I have not had any luck in connecting Dev. Studio to the cellular IP either.

Hi dlinquist,

There is a new AT command (*AAFINSTALL), that can be used to install a new appli (and also get info on installed ones).
The AAF application installation using this AT command will be done using a FTP server serving the application package.

You can find more details on this in the Airlink ALEOS Software Configuration Guide (in current version, 4.4.0, the command doc is in page 443.)
source.sierrawireless.com/resour … ion-guide/

Regards,

Always a little embarrassing to be pointed to the manual to answer a question. I was able to remotely install the program and run it successfully, thank you. If I could only narrow down why it looses the program now.

Hi dlinquist,

Glad to know you were able to install your application.

However I am wondering if you have any progress with the device “loosing the program” issue you mentioned.
Did you ask some info/help to your client support / distributor contact?
If you have some details / context to explain more precisely the issue, you can post them here, so that we can try to understand that.

Regards,