How to build "delta" binaries for FX30s

Hi, I am reposting this from the legato.io forum as I am not getting a response there… Anyone have more information?

Hi, I have FX30s in the field that need their applications updated. However I do not want to send the full package. I believe it is possible to send delta updates to them? I previously uploaded the application to them using the zip file created by av-pack. I am building using 16.10.1.m3 or R14.

I am releasing these apps via AirVantage… but can’t work out how to generate the delta update pack.

Thanks,

Karl

@karlkuhn,

Pretty sure that delta files are primarily (only) intended for use with firmware only as this can be quite big (like up to 80MB) where applications tend to be far smaller.

Regards

Matt

Hi @mlw thanks for the reply.

My application is still 1.5Mb and in M2M world data costs quite a bit more than in the normal mobile phone SIM. It would still be very helpful to be able to reduce that size especially for sites that have intermittent connection (as I have at the moment)

Thanks,

Karl

@karlkuhn,

I am afraid my initial response stands, I have not seen a tool on line or otherwise that is able to generate delta files between application builds, for the firmware only the development teams can do this.

Regards

Matt

@mlw thanks for the quick response… Understood… maybe a request to push to Sierra Wireless?

Regarding FW delta files. I believe the next FX30 build with be R17? Is that correct. If I wanted to deploy that to devices in the field, how would I go about getting the R14-R17 delta binary?

Thanks,

Karl

@mlw looking at the latest docs on legato (not a version I can use it is not available to FX30s) indicate there might be a delta tool coming? Can you confirm?

https://docs.legato.io/latest/toolsHost_mkdelta.html

Thanks,

Karl

@karlkuhn,

I will push this post to the relevant product manager and will ask about that tool you have pointed out.

Regards

Matt

1 Like

Hi Karl,
The FX30 (R14) currently does not support delta updates.

R17 will also not support delta updates, as this feature is still under development in Legato. You’ll require a full bundle update to bring your devices up from R14 to R17, and then install your applications on top. Also, be aware that R17 will be using Legato 18.x compared to the Legato 16.10.1.m3 (R14), so you will likely need to make changes your applications. You’ll also need to build using the correct toolchain.

BR,
Chris

Thanks for the info @cchenry