HelloWorld Failed ! The legato framework is not running!

Hi, I am constantly facing this error when I am trying to install HelloWorld app.

“The legato framework is not running”

user@user-OptiPlex-9020:~/legato-af/apps/sample/helloWorld$ instapp helloWorld.wp7 10.20.34.140 Installing application 'helloWorld' from file 'helloWorld.wp7'. root@10.20.34.140's password: The legato framework is not running. Please start it before proceeding.

I’ve tried “startlegato” on HOST

user@user-OptiPlex-9020:~/legato-af$ startlegato WARNING: Service Directory was already running. WARNING: Log Control Daemon was already running. WARNING: Config Tree was already running. Already running.

Tried “legato start” on TARGET

root@swi-mdm9x15:/# legato start Starting Legato... Starting the supervisor...

and still nothing… :frowning:

Please Help !!

Hi,

Are you sure that legto is already running ?
to be sure do

legato stop

and then you will see if legato was running or not.

otherwise, how did you do to install legato, and for which target ??

Hello,

Since it’s hard to tell the state the target is in, could you reboot the target by issuing the “reboot” command on the target, and try “instapp” on the host again?

Actually, before “instapp”, you could also run “legato status” on the target to see if Legato is running.

By the way, “startlegato” on the host isn’t necessary for installing and running HelloWorld on the target

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Hi,

Thanx for the reply mbarazzouq & jeffreychien:slight_smile:

I’ve tried both…

root@swi-mdm9x15:~# legato status Legato framework is not running. root@swi-mdm9x15:~# legato stop Legato wasn't running. DONE.

BUT the main thing that i’ve found out is…

root@swi-mdm9x15:~# legato bootcheck No legato installed in /mnt/legato

So i did this…

root@swi-mdm9x15:~# legato install Legato wasn't running. DONE. Cleaning... Checking target environment... Unpacking...

and this is where the code hangs… nothing after “unpacking”.

What do you think… corrupt files ??

Hi,

So you’ve rebooted and Legato is still not running. You can try to install Legato again by running “instlegato” on the host side. By the way, the commands on the target “legato bootcheck” and “legato install” are not meant to be run directly - they are driven by some other scripts. Yeah I know it’s misleading from the command-line help messages, although the Legato documentation does imply as such.

Before you “instlegato”, there are a few things that you could do to help diagnose what the problem is.

1. could you run “df” and paste the output? Let’s see if the flash drive actually has enough space.
  2. right after you run “legato start” (or legato restart) and see the failure message, could you run “logread” and paste the output? It might contain error messages.

After you “instleagto”, let us know what sort of indication and messages you see on the host side. If everything goes well, it should say “SUCCESS” at the end. If not, feel free to paste the output messages and let’s see what’s going on.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Hi,
Well it does seem from the legato help command that we need to install using “legato install”

I’ve gone through what you’ve suggested and here’s the output.

root@swi-mdm9x15:~# df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on /dev/root 50688 45568 5120 90% / devtmpfs 76060 4 76056 0% /dev tmpfs 76208 0 76208 0% /dev/shm /dev/mtdblock5 5376 3548 1828 66% /mnt/userrw /dev/mtdblock4 152576 3012 149564 2% /mnt/flash var 76208 12216 63992 16% /var /dev/mtdblock4 152576 3012 149564 2% /home /dev/mtdblock4 152576 3012 149564 2% /usr/local /dev/mtdblock4 152576 3012 149564 2% /opt var 76208 12216 63992 16% /etc/ld.so.conf var 76208 12216 63992 16% /etc/profile /dev/mtdblock4 152576 3012 149564 2% /etc/passwd /dev/mtdblock4 152576 3012 149564 2% /etc/group var 76208 12216 63992 16% /etc/ld.so.cache root@swi-mdm9x15:~#

error log being too large to display here…i am sending you it as a txt file…

Installing Legato framework from: build/wp7 root@10.20.34.140's password: root@10.20.34.140's password: Legato wasn't running. DONE. Cleaning... Checking target environment... Unpacking... Updating dynamic linker configuration... /usr/local/lib: libComponent_audioPlaybackRecExe.so -> libComponent_audioPlaybackRecExe.so libIF_testCellNetService.cellNetService.le_cellnet.so -> libIF_testCellNetService.cellNetService.le_cellnet.so libIF_cm.cm.le_mdc.so -> libIF_cm.cm.le_mdc.so libIF_configDelete.configDelete.le_cfg.so -> libIF_configDelete.configDelete.le_cfg.so libIF_cm.cm.le_sim.so -> libIF_cm.cm.le_sim.so lible_data_client.so -> lible_data_client.so libIF_configTree.configTree.le_cfgAdmin.so -> libIF_configTree.configTree.le_cfgAdmin.so libIF_supervisor.supervisor.le_sup_state.so -> libIF_supervisor.supervisor.le_sup_state.so libIF_appCfgRemove.appConfig.le_cfg.so -> libIF_appCfgRemove.appConfig.le_cfg.so libIF_le_info_client.so -> libIF_le_info_client.so libIF_execInApp.execInApp.le_sup_state.so -> libIF_execInApp.execInApp.le_sup_state.so libComponent_logDaemon.so -> libComponent_logDaemon.so libIF_testAudioMccExe.audioMccExe.le_mcc_call.so -> libIF_testAudioMccExe.audioMccExe.le_mcc_call.so libIF_watchdog.watchdog.le_sup_wdog.so -> libIF_watchdog.watchdog.le_sup_wdog.so libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemonTest.le_posCtrl.so -> libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemonTest.le_posCtrl.so libComponent_cdmaPduTest.so -> libComponent_cdmaPduTest.so libIF_execInApp.security.le_cfg.so -> libIF_execInApp.security.le_cfg.so libIF_cm.cm.le_mrc.so -> libIF_cm.cm.le_mrc.so libIF_appSetFilePermissions.security.le_cfg.so -> libIF_appSetFilePermissions.security.le_cfg.so libIF_testAudioDtmf.dtmfTest.le_audio.so -> libIF_testAudioDtmf.dtmfTest.le_audio.so libComponent_posCtrlTest.so -> libComponent_posCtrlTest.so libComponent_appConfig.so -> libComponent_appConfig.so libIF_configDelete.configDelete.le_cfgAdmin.so -> libIF_configDelete.configDelete.le_cfgAdmin.so libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemon.le_pos.so -> libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemon.le_pos.so libIF_configDropWriteExe.configDropWrite.le_cfg.so -> libIF_configDropWriteExe.configDropWrite.le_cfg.so libComponent_cm.so -> libComponent_cm.so libIF_fwupdate.fwupdate.le_info.so -> libIF_fwupdate.fwupdate.le_info.so libIF_supervisor.supervisor.le_sup_wdog.so -> libIF_supervisor.supervisor.le_sup_wdog.so libComponent_supervisor.so -> libComponent_supervisor.so libComponent_gdbCfg.so -> libComponent_gdbCfg.so libComponent_filePermissions.so -> libComponent_filePermissions.so libIF_cm.cm.le_sms.so -> libIF_cm.cm.le_sms.so libIF_appSetFilePermissions.filePermissions.le_cfg.so -> libIF_appSetFilePermissions.filePermissions.le_cfg.so libIF_testModemSmsDeletion.smsDeletion.le_cfg.so -> libIF_testModemSmsDeletion.smsDeletion.le_cfg.so libIF_appCfgInstall.appConfig.le_cfg.so -> libIF_appCfgInstall.appConfig.le_cfg.so liblegato.so -> liblegato.so libIF_testAudioDtmf.dtmfTest.le_mcc_call.so -> libIF_testAudioDtmf.dtmfTest.le_mcc_call.so libIF_appCtrl.appCtrl.le_cfg.so -> libIF_appCtrl.appCtrl.le_cfg.so libIF_testAudioPlaybackRecExe.audioPlaybackRecExe.le_mcc_call.so -> libIF_testAudioPlaybackRecExe.audioPlaybackRecExe.le_mcc_call.so libIF_supervisor.security.le_cfg.so -> libIF_supervisor.security.le_cfg.so libIF_le_mrc_client.so -> libIF_le_mrc_client.so libIF_testAudioMccExe.audioMccExe.le_audio.so -> libIF_testAudioMccExe.audioMccExe.le_audio.so libIF_testAudioDtmf.dtmfTest.le_cfg.so -> libIF_testAudioDtmf.dtmfTest.le_cfg.so libIF_cm.cm.le_info.so -> libIF_cm.cm.le_info.so libIF_smackApiTest.security.le_cfg.so -> libIF_smackApiTest.security.le_cfg.so libComponent_userAdderRemover.so -> libComponent_userAdderRemover.so libComponent_mccTest.so -> libComponent_mccTest.so libComponent_configDropWrite.so -> libComponent_configDropWrite.so libIF_gdbCfg.gdbCfg.le_cfg.so -> libIF_gdbCfg.gdbCfg.le_cfg.so libComponent_smsTest.so -> libComponent_smsTest.so libIF_appCtrl.appCtrl.le_sup_ctrl.so -> libIF_appCtrl.appCtrl.le_sup_ctrl.so libIF_cm.cm.le_cfg.so -> libIF_cm.cm.le_cfg.so libIF_sdir.sdirTool.le_cfg.so -> libIF_sdir.sdirTool.le_cfg.so libIF_testModemMcc.mccTest.le_mcc_call.so -> libIF_testModemMcc.mccTest.le_mcc_call.so libIF_testModemSmsDeletion.smsDeletion.le_sms.so -> libIF_testModemSmsDeletion.smsDeletion.le_sms.so libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemonTest.le_pos.so -> libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemonTest.le_pos.so libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemon.le_cfg.so -> libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemon.le_cfg.so libIF_testAudioPlaybackRecExe.audioPlaybackRecExe.le_mcc_profile.so -> libIF_testAudioPlaybackRecExe.audioPlaybackRecExe.le_mcc_profile.so libIF_configTree.configTree.le_cfg.so -> libIF_configTree.configTree.le_cfg.so lible_tree_hdlr.so -> lible_tree_hdlr.so libComponent_dtmfTest.so -> libComponent_dtmfTest.so libIF_appCtrl.appCtrl.le_sup_state.so -> libIF_appCtrl.appCtrl.le_sup_state.so libComponent_sdirTool.so -> libComponent_sdirTool.so libIF_supervisor.supervisor.le_cfg.so -> libIF_supervisor.supervisor.le_cfg.so libIF_testAudioPlaybackRecExe.audioPlaybackRecExe.le_cfg.so -> libIF_testAudioPlaybackRecExe.audioPlaybackRecExe.le_cfg.so libIF_le_pos_client.so -> libIF_le_pos_client.so libIF_execInApp.execInApp.le_cfg.so -> libIF_execInApp.execInApp.le_cfg.so libComponent_posDaemon.so -> libComponent_posDaemon.so libIF_configDropReadExe.configDropRead.le_cfg.so -> libIF_configDropReadExe.configDropRead.le_cfg.so libIF_configTestExe.configTest.le_cfg.so -> libIF_configTestExe.configTest.le_cfg.so libIF_testAudioDtmf.dtmfTest.le_mcc_profile.so -> libIF_testAudioDtmf.dtmfTest.le_mcc_profile.so libComponent_configTree.so -> libComponent_configTree.so libIF_config.config.le_cfg.so -> libIF_config.config.le_cfg.so libComponent_config.so -> libComponent_config.so libComponent_security.so -> libComponent_security.so libIF_le_posCtrl_client.so -> libIF_le_posCtrl_client.so libIF_testPosCtrl.posCtrlTest.le_posCtrl.so -> libIF_testPosCtrl.posCtrlTest.le_posCtrl.so libIF_fwupdate.fwupdate.le_fwupdate.so -> libIF_fwupdate.fwupdate.le_fwupdate.so libIF_configTestExe.configTest.le_cfgAdmin.so -> libIF_configTestExe.configTest.le_cfgAdmin.so libIF_le_mdc_client.so -> libIF_le_mdc_client.so libIF_watchdog.watchdog.le_wdog.so -> libIF_watchdog.watchdog.le_wdog.so libComponent_cfgTest.so -> libComponent_cfgTest.so libComponent_cellNetService.so -> libComponent_cellNetService.so libComponent_posDaemonTest.so -> libComponent_posDaemonTest.so libIF_testAudioMccExe.audioMccExe.le_mcc_profile.so -> libIF_testAudioMccExe.audioMccExe.le_mcc_profile.so libComponent_configDropRead.so -> libComponent_configDropRead.so libIF_testVoiceCallService.voiceCallTest.le_audio.so -> libIF_testVoiceCallService.voiceCallTest.le_audio.so libComponent_appCtrl.so -> libComponent_appCtrl.so libComponent_configTest.so -> libComponent_configTest.so libIF_le_data_client.so -> libIF_le_data_client.so libIF_update.updateTool.le_fwupdate.so -> libIF_update.updateTool.le_fwupdate.so libIF_supervisor.supervisor.le_sup_ctrl.so -> libIF_supervisor.supervisor.le_sup_ctrl.so libComponent_le_pa_mon.so -> libComponent_le_pa_mon.so libIF_cm.cm.le_data.so -> libIF_cm.cm.le_data.so libIF_testRemoteMgmt.remoteMgmtTest.le_cfg.so -> libIF_testRemoteMgmt.remoteMgmtTest.le_cfg.so libComponent_audioMccExe.so -> libComponent_audioMccExe.so libComponent_remoteMgmtTest.so -> libComponent_remoteMgmtTest.so libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemon.le_gnss.so -> libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemon.le_gnss.so libjansson.so.4 -> libjansson.so.4.6.0 libIF_config.config.le_cfgAdmin.so -> libIF_config.config.le_cfgAdmin.so libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemon.le_posCtrl.so -> libIF_testPosDaemon.posDaemon.le_posCtrl.so libComponent_updateTool.so -> libComponent_updateTool.so libIF_gdbCfg.appConfig.le_cfg.so -> libIF_gdbCfg.appConfig.le_cfg.so libComponent_voiceCallTest.so -> libComponent_voiceCallTest.so libComponent_le_pa_gnss.so -> libComponent_le_pa_gnss.so libComponent_smsDeletion.so -> libComponent_smsDeletion.so libComponent_configDelete.so -> libComponent_configDelete.so libIF_appCfgRemove.appConfig.le_cfgAdmin.so -> libIF_appCfgRemove.appConfig.le_cfgAdmin.so libComponent_smsPduTest.so -> libComponent_smsPduTest.so libIF_testAudioCfg.cfgTest.le_audio.so -> libIF_testAudioCfg.cfgTest.le_audio.so libComponent_execInApp.so -> libComponent_execInApp.so libIF_testModemMdc.mdcTest.le_mdc.so -> libIF_testModemMdc.mdcTest.le_mdc.so libIF_smackApiTest.smackAPI.le_cfg.so -> libIF_smackApiTest.smackAPI.le_cfg.so libComponent_watchdog.so -> libComponent_watchdog.so libComponent_le_pa_audio.so -> libComponent_le_pa_audio.so libIF_testModemSms.smsTest.le_cfg.so -> libIF_testModemSms.smsTest.le_cfg.so libIF_watchdog.watchdog.le_cfg.so -> libIF_watchdog.watchdog.le_cfg.so libComponent_fwupdate.so -> libComponent_fwupdate.so libIF_testVoiceCallService.voiceCallTest.le_voicecall.so -> libIF_testVoiceCallService.voiceCallTest.le_voicecall.so libIF_testAudioPlaybackRecExe.audioPlaybackRecExe.le_audio.so -> libIF_testAudioPlaybackRecExe.audioPlaybackRecExe.le_audio.so libComponent_smackAPI.so -> libComponent_smackAPI.so libIF_appCfgInstall.appConfig.le_cfgAdmin.so -> libIF_appCfgInstall.appConfig.le_cfgAdmin.so libIF_gdbCfg.appConfig.le_cfgAdmin.so -> libIF_gdbCfg.appConfig.le_cfgAdmin.so libIF_appUserRemove.userAdderRemover.le_cfg.so -> libIF_appUserRemove.userAdderRemover.le_cfg.so libIF_gdbCfg.gdbCfg.le_cfgAdmin.so -> libIF_gdbCfg.gdbCfg.le_cfgAdmin.so libIF_appUserAdd.userAdderRemover.le_cfg.so -> libIF_appUserAdd.userAdderRemover.le_cfg.so libIF_testModemMcc.mccTest.le_mcc_profile.so -> libIF_testModemMcc.mccTest.le_mcc_profile.so libIF_testModemSms.smsTest.le_sms.so -> libIF_testModemSms.smsTest.le_sms.so libIF_testRemoteMgmt.remoteMgmtTest.le_remoteMgmt.so -> libIF_testRemoteMgmt.remoteMgmtTest.le_remoteMgmt.so libComponent_mdcTest.so -> libComponent_mdcTest.so libComponent_le_pa.so -> libComponent_le_pa.so libIF_testAudioMccExe.audioMccExe.le_cfg.so -> libIF_testAudioMccExe.audioMccExe.le_cfg.so libIF_le_sim_client.so -> libIF_le_sim_client.so /lib: libnss_files.so.2 -> libnss_files-2.17.so libgcc_s.so.1 -> libgcc_s.so.1 libdl.so.2 -> libdl-2.17.so libtinfo.so.5 -> libtinfo.so.5.9 libc.so.6 -> libc-2.17.so libanl.so.1 -> libanl-2.17.so libnsl.so.1 -> libnsl-2.17.so libthread_db.so.1 -> libthread_db-1.0.so libuuid.so.1 -> libuuid.so.1.3.0 libncursesw.so.5 -> libncursesw.so.5.9 libblkid.so.1 -> libblkid.so.1.1.0 libnss_dns.so.2 -> libnss_dns-2.17.so libutil.so.1 -> libutil-2.17.so libnss_compat.so.2 -> libnss_compat-2.17.so libBrokenLocale.so.1 -> libBrokenLocale-2.17.so libpthread.so.0 -> libpthread-2.17.so libcrypt.so.1 -> libcrypt-2.17.so libresolv.so.2 -> libresolv-2.17.so librt.so.1 -> librt-2.17.so libm.so.6 -> libm-2.17.so ld-linux.so.3 -> ld-2.17.so /usr/lib: liblttng-ust-fork.so.0 -> liblttng-ust-fork.so.0.0.0 libqmi_encdec.so.1 -> libqmi_encdec.so.1.0.0 libpython2.7.so.1.0 -> libpython2.7.so.1.0 libffi.so.6 -> libffi.so.6.0.0 libqcmap_cm.so.1 -> libqcmap_cm.so.1.0.0 libxml.so.0 -> libxml.so.0.0.0 libloc_api.so.1 -> libloc_api.so.1.0.0 libglib-2.0.so.0 -> libglib-2.0.so.0.3400.3 libqmiidl.so.1 -> libqmiidl.so.1.0.0 libconfigdb.so.0 -> libconfigdb.so.0.0.0 liblttng-ust-tracepoint.so.0 -> liblttng-ust-tracepoint.so.0.0.0 libqmi_cci.so.1 -> libqmi_cci.so.1.0.0 libqmi_sap.so.1 -> libqmi_sap.so.1.0.0 libdsnet.so.1 -> libdsnet.so.1.0.0 liburcu-bp.so.1 -> liburcu-bp.so.1.0.0 libgthread-2.0.so.0 -> libgthread-2.0.so.0.3400.3 libdsutils.so.1 -> libdsutils.so.1.0.0 libgmodule-2.0.so.0 -> libgmodule-2.0.so.0.3400.3 libreadline.so.6 -> libreadline.so.6.2 libgio-2.0.so.0 -> libgio-2.0.so.0.3400.3 liburcu.so.1 -> liburcu.so.1.0.0 libqmiservices.so.1 -> libqmiservices.so.1.0.0 libdiag.so.1 -> libdiag.so.1.0.0 libqcci_legacy.so.1 -> libqcci_legacy.so.1.0.0 liburcu-common.so.1 -> liburcu-common.so.1.0.0 libstdc++.so.6 -> libstdc++.so.6.0.17 liburcu-qsbr.so.1 -> liburcu-qsbr.so.1.0.0 libkmod.so.2 -> libkmod.so.2.1.3 libqmi_common_so.so.1 -> libqmi_common_so.so.1.0.0 libaudcal.so.1 -> libaudcal.so.1.0.0 libgobject-2.0.so.0 -> libgobject-2.0.so.0.3400.3 liblog.so.0 -> liblog.so.0.0.0 libqmi.so.1 -> libqmi.so.1.0.0 liblttng-ust-ctl.so.1 -> liblttng-ust-ctl.so.1.0.0 libhistory.so.6 -> libhistory.so.6.2 libloc_adapter_so.so.1 -> libloc_adapter_so.so.1.0.0 libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.2.7 libqmi_csi.so.1 -> libqmi_csi.so.1.0.0 libdssnew.so.1 -> libdssnew.so.1.0.0 libaudioalsa.so.1 -> libaudioalsa.so.1.0.0 liblttng-ust.so.0 -> liblttng-ust.so.0.0.0 libcutils.so.0 -> libcutils.so.0.0.0 liburcu-cds.so.1 -> liburcu-cds.so.1.0.0 liburcu-signal.so.1 -> liburcu-signal.so.1.0.0 libacdbloader.so.1 -> libacdbloader.so.1.0.0 libalsa_intf.so.1 -> libalsa_intf.so.1.0.0 liblttng-ust-libc-wrapper.so.0 -> liblttng-ust-libc-wrapper.so.0.0.0 libgps_utils_so.so.1 -> libgps_utils_so.so.1.0.0 libacdbmapper.so.1 -> libacdbmapper.so.1.0.0 liburcu-mb.so.1 -> liburcu-mb.so.1.0.0 libqmi_client_qmux.so.1 -> libqmi_client_qmux.so.1.0.0 libnetmgr.so.0 -> libnetmgr.so.0.0.0 libdsstest.so.1 -> libdsstest.so.1.0.0 Starting Legato... Starting the supervisor... FAILED user@user-OptiPlex-9020:~/legato-af$

As you can see I am getting a failure message, so more or less everything seems to be stuck at the same point.

Thanx.

i can not build HELLO WORLD project. i use window 7 64 bit. please help
this link is my log file : mediafire.com/?m3u4y3zd5tl5qk4

Karandeep007,

I suspect that your target device might be missing a number of configuration files.

If you go to “/mnt/flash/ufs/etc” and run “ls -latr” (must have the “a” option to show hidden files), do you see a number of files starting with “.wh”? If so, if you remove those files starting with “.wh”, the original version would show up in your /etc directory. That should restore your missing “login.defs”, and I suspect there may be other missing files too.

After the above, try starting Legato, and/or install Legato again. Let me know if that helps.

Your used space in /mnt/flash is quite low… may I ask if you tried to strip down the device by deleting unnecessary files or something like that?

Also, did you upgrade your target device with the firmware that came with the 15.01 beta release?

maianhtrung,

I took a (very) quick glance of the log and it looks more Dev Studio related. Could you create a new thread about your problem, and provide more detail on what you did to encounter this issue? Karandeep007’s issue is more about target device config, and/or firmware version.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey,

i actually dont have any “ufs” directory under flash…

root@swi-mdm9x15:/mnt/flash# ls etc lost+found startup startupDefaults home opt startupBackups usr

I did nothing of that sort or anything that might delete or strip down the files.

actually i tried but couldn’t as for upgrading we need UART2 which doesn’t seem to be working for my case (so I am using UART1 for all the serial console related operations) and the “fwupdate” service also needs to be running which isn’t happening.
http://www.legato.io/legato-docs/15_01/legatoUpgrade15_01.html

Thanx.

Hi Karandeep007,

I suppose you have a Windows host? Did you connect the target device to the Windows host via USB? You mentioned UART so I guess you probably didn’t. After you connect them via USB you should be able to see “DM port” in Device Manager, and be able to run that .exe to update the firmware. Upgrading firmware this way doesn’t need “fwupdate” to be running (it’s for using a Linux host).

Thanks,
Jeffrey