EM7455 automatic antenna switching

Hi! I would like to ask, if EM7455 module can switch between antennas automatically? I mean, if I connect a new antenna on the aux connector, can the module switch to use it instead of the main antenna, or should I do it with AT commands?
Thank you!

@szabo3.miklos.tamas

No, the main transmitter cannot be switched between the main and aux connectors.

Regards

Matt

Thank you!
What purpose does serve the aux connector? The communication of the main transmitter could be happened only through the main connector?
Thank you for your help!

@szabo3.miklos.tamas

For the downlink speeds there are multiple channels and half of these run through the Rx diversity/MIMO/aux connector.

Regards

Matt

1 Like

Reviving old topic to add the following information “for the record”:

The AUX port is input only, i.e. no TX. Only the MAIN port is equipped with TX drivers. For some more detail, see the block diagram in EM7455 Product Technical Specification on page 21 (as of rel.15 of the document).

The “diversity” function traditionally means, that a dedicated RX antenna can be attached - which can have a higher gain. Not sure if the motivation is the same in 3GPP stuff, but in WiFi this allows you to improve RX sensitivity by providing a larger dish, which you cannot do for TX for legal reasons…
Another mode of operation is “MIMO” (except that no output is available on the AUX port) as already mentioned in this thread by mlw .