EM7355 - Voice calls possible?!

Hello, I am new to the EM7355. I got it working in my Toughbook I can browse the internet and use SMS. My next question is there anyway to receive calls make calls with it… my plan allows for talk and data and I have a phone number associated with the SIM… but I can’t figure out how I would dial out or receive a phone call over 4G/3G network?

Any insight/recommendations are appreciated!

Jeff

The EM7355 module is a DataOnly device thus voice call is not supported.

Hi Tomato,

Ok, I see that EM7345 supports PCM voice. Do you know if this will work instead? What other options do I have? If the hardware will work then there is this tool to test: https://m2msupport.net/m2msupport/sierra-wireless-em7345-4g-lte-m2-module/

it has a GSM module ,so obviously can make voice calls, but you need a software for it. I still can’t find one. A good programming engineer can do it easy.

just found from the link you provided a software which probably can do the job-AT command tester. https://m2msupport.net/m2msupport/download-at-command-tester/

@ili4pop

So in theory you can make a voice call with the unit but it will not route the voice data stream anywhere making it effectively not support voice given you cannot hear it or send it.

Regards

Matt

Hi - it’s an old thread but nice to see some interest. I found out I have VoLTE support on my network but still no go with these radio modems. I have been waiting to see if any of the newer radios from Sierra Wireless support voice as these ones seem to have depreciated.

Hi, I just bought a module for my thinkpad X240 and waiting for delivery. As the company behind the software mentioned before ,claims that it can make phone calls I will check it immediately. Actually there is nothing complicated to do it because GSM is a binary transmission and the device modulates your voice with PCM, after it all is just numbers.You can download the software AT command tester, it has 7 days trial. I will let you know if it works after couple of days. Here is a video of the AT command tester, you can see one of the options is DATA CALL which obviously is via GSM .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiUlsqQ374c&t=26s

I seem to recall trying this software last year and while it could dial there was no way to transmit or receive audio. I soon gave up with that I think there is a software needed to route the audio.

Hi, I don’t understand what you mean by route the audio, but logically an analogue audio input ,as your voice ,is converted with an ADC chip to 1and 0 ,actually coded with the EM7355. Then those numbers are transmitted via your SIM through a GSM connection provided by the carrier .Finally the codes are arriving to the other SIM and converted with the opposite device DAC (digital to analogue converter) so you can hear a voice. This is the simplest explanation. Actually a GSM ,GPRS,3,4,5 G module could be fitted in 1 cm^2 .Anyway as soon I’ve got the device I will inform you if it does the data calls(not internet). Unfortunately just saw the estimated delivery is in 5 -7 days.

You must choose radio for your thinkpad unless you hack vendor ID it will not be seen I had to do this for my tough book when I used dell radio em7355.

I spent many hours farting around with this radio that test software doesn’t allow you to hear/transmit anything it does not decode or enclose audio it just issues ata commands the same you can do in a terminal. Anyways it only takes me a few minutes to reload that software and confirm. These is a note on the manual for this radio saying “FW for voice is a future FW update”

You may want to read the developer section. There is indication that you can get SDK for android and Linux.

Probably you’re right. I just have college degree( not university ) in electrical engineering and advanced digital electronics and just thinking in a logical way .Probably you are more informed about the subject and already have tested it with this program. Anyway it shouldn’t be impossible to write a software when you already have all the hardware components ,by the way I just found some information about this software and is written that you can start a voice call with a certain command .Maybe is just for testing without actual coding -decoding.You can take a look.https://m2msupport.net/m2msupport/voice-call-at-commands-to-set-up-voice-call/