CANbus Telemetry, AMMER, AVTC

I’m setting up an Airlink MP70 and want to get hold of telemetry data via the CANbus . As I understand it, I’ll need to be running AMMER to gather and send data to the AMM server and AVTC to translate any manufacturer specific codes.

I have installed both programs and am able to start AMMER using ACEmanager, but AVTC fails to start whenever I try to launch it.

I have tried to follow the instructions given at https://source.sierrawireless.com/resources/airlink/application_notes_and_code_samples/airlink_appnote_using_avtc , but they appear to be aimed at users of AVTA and ALMS rather than those using AVTC and AMM. I’d like to know if there are more specific instructions for my situation, or even if I could check for any errors generated when AVTC fails.

At the moment the MP70 is on my desk and not wired to a CANbus - I don’t know whether that would make a difference. I’m hoping to get as much configured as possible before installing in the vehicle.

Anything to point me in the right direction would help. Thanks.

I seem to be part-way to answering my own question here.

According to the How to install and use AVTC instructions :

“If AVTA or AMMER is installed on an AirLink device, then AVTC should be installed as well.”

However, the supported vehicles list at the bottom of the page only covers certain Dodge, Chevrolet, Ford, GMC and Toyota models.

Since I’m not using any of these it seems I should uninstall AVTC and manually configure AMMER using the instructions at the AMMER Support and Configuration page.

According to ALEOS Data Streaming: Heartbeat, GPS, Telemetry, I should be able to access the config file through AMM at ConfigurationDeploymentConfiguration Control . I will also need to request *Configuration/Deployment/Configuration Control/Files access privilege in order to download the file.

Hi @AP11,
Are you success to complete the configuration. Any errors?

As Using AirLink Vehicle Telemetry Configuration guide “If AVTA or AMMER is installed on an AirLink device, then AVTC should be installed as well. Although vehicle telemetry will work when AVTC is not installed, access to proprietary vehicle data will not be available unless it is installed.” so AVTC should exist on MP70 even when you use AMMER

I am worried this situation. Sierra provided a supported vehicles list which were verified and worked perfectly. Out of scope will be not guarantee I believe

AVTC should exist on MP70 even when you use AMMER

As I understood the wording, AVTC is separate from AMMER , but should be installed by the user once they have installed AMMER.

In fact, the page goes on to give an exception:

“There is an exception—if you have installed a specific vehicle configuration file locally via ACEmanager (Services > Vehicle Telemetry > Advanced > Telemetry Configuration), proprietary data will be read from the vehicle.”

In which case, I should be able to get to the config file mentioned in my last post via ACEmanager rather than needing an extra access privilege in AMM. I’ll try to connect that way and add the vehicle specific codes I need.

I am worried this situation. Sierra provided a supported vehicles list which were verified and worked perfectly.

Are you worried because the list on the Support and Configuration page doesn’t match the list from Sierra? If so, what vehicles does that cover?

Out of scope will be not guarantee I believe

As far as I can tell, out of scope should not work since AVTC depends on detecting the vehicle and then reading the appropriate manufacturer specific codes.

Just a quick follow-up. I’ve tried accessing the config file through ACEmanager and I only have the option to upload to the MP70. There’s no existing file available to use as a template. I’ll do some more digging and post up my results once I get things working.

Another follow-up. The config file available through AMM isn’t the file I was expecting, it’s an XML list of general settings for AMMER, not the vehicle specific codes I was after.

However, after downloading the AVTC AFF and checking through the tar archive, I found a ‘vehiclecfg’ directory with individual vehicle configuration files. Each of these is JSON document describing the CANbus addresses and active bits used for each item of proprietary data to be captured. It looks as if these files can be used as a template for my own configuration, to be uploaded through ACEmanager.